1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools University Advice

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    Well, I just finished my last two courses (Physics 2 w/Calculus and C Programming) required for my transfer over to my local university for their physics program of which I will be starting in the Spring Semester 2009. I am currently signed up for Linear Algebra, Classical Mechanics, and Electricity & Magnetism for Spring Semester 2009 and I was wondering what advice would you guys give me in preparing for the rigorous demands of the university? I would like to maintain my "A" honor roll and therefore would appreciate any tips you can give me in doing so. Coming from my local community college, I know it will be a new experience especially at the university. Also, I plan on working perhaps two part-time jobs both located in school; one being a math tutor and perhaps working at the school bookstore while going to school full-time. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

By the way, what other math courses would you recommend as I progress through my higher level physics courses? Some of the math courses I have considered are vector analysis, abstract algebra - are these helpful? Oh, and I also made A's on both my Physics 1 and Physics 2 with Calculus.
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2008 #2
    Do you know what texts are going to be used for these courses? The best thing to do is go get the texts early and see if YOU feel prepared from your prior coursework.

Math courses... definitely have a Vector Calculus (often considered Calc III) course, a Differential Equations course, and a PDE/ Boundary Value course. Complex Analysis is also good. Some will recommend Real analysis, and while I didn't find it particularly useful, maybe your experience will be different.

Added: Also be sure to get research experience in... especially if you plan to go to graduate school. It evens helps if you plan to get a job right after.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?