Astrophysicist Salary & University: Guide to University Life

In summary, astrophysicists typically earn an annual salary of $99,730. The best university for a PhD in astrophysics is MIT, but it is difficult to get a job as a professional or paid astrophysicist after earning a degree.
Abscissas
Hello PF I am starting my life to be an astrophysicist and was wondering about how much do they get payed, i was thinking about probably becoming a professor if not working at lab hopefully for NASA seems unlikely though. I was also wondering what would be a good university for this, I've never been to keen on the education system. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
In May 2008, astrophysicists averaged an annual salary of $99,730.
one of the best university is MIT USA.

Of course the likely big caveat with that statistic is that most people who get a PhD in astrophysics never become professional or paid astrophysicists.

What are some jobs that id be able to get with a PhD in astrophysics I hope I don't get my PhD and end up in Mc Donalds couldn't I be a professor as well?

Would I be able to transfer to MIT if I perhaps say have a GED ?

Last edited:
Let's start at the beginning. You need to attend college, major in physics, have a high college GPA, earn high scores on the GED and physics GRE, and hopefully get some research experience. Then you apply to grad schools for astronomy, astrophysics, or physics PhD programs. That's another 4-8 years of college. Then you apply for jobs as an astrophysicist.

None of these jobs are easy to get. We produce more astrophysicists than we can hire, so many people work outside the field after earning a degree in the field. It's not easy to get a job as a college professor. Again, we produce more PhDs than we need to hire. Every job ad for a physicist or astronomer at a college will receive many hundreds of qualified applicants, and they'll only interview a few people. It's a very popular job with a starting salary average of $56,000 per year. Some schools pay more, most pay less.

You can start at any 4-year college or university offering a physics major. Your local state university is usually the best choice if you can get in; many have excellent programs. MIT accepts very few transfer students. That information is on their admissions website.

Thank you Eri you've been more helpful then any and all guidance counselor or teachers that have given me answers to basicly the same question I can take the rest from here. I appreciate everyone who replied

1. How much does an astrophysicist typically make in salary?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual salary for astrophysicists in the United States is around $120,000. However, this can vary depending on factors such as experience, location, and employer.

2. What level of education is required to become an astrophysicist?

Most astrophysicists have a Ph.D. in astrophysics, astronomy, or physics. This typically requires 4 years of undergraduate study, followed by 5-6 years of graduate school. Some positions may also require postdoctoral research experience.

3. Are there any specific universities known for their astrophysics programs?

Yes, there are several universities known for their strong astrophysics programs, such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), California Institute of Technology (Caltech), Harvard University, and Princeton University. However, there are many other universities with excellent astrophysics programs as well.

4. What does a typical day in the life of an astrophysics student look like?

As an astrophysics student, you can expect to spend a lot of time in classes, labs, and studying independently. You may also have opportunities for research projects, internships, and/or teaching assistantships. It is important to have strong time management skills and a passion for learning and discovery.

5. What are some potential career paths for astrophysics graduates?

Astrophysics graduates can pursue a variety of careers in academia, research institutions, government agencies, and private companies. Some common job titles include astrophysicist, research scientist, data analyst, science writer, and science educator. Many astrophysicists also go on to work in related fields such as aerospace engineering, computer science, and data science.