University Application Time!

• Schools
  • Thread starter rocketboy
  • Start date
zwtipp05 said:
No USC? :frown: That's disappointing, but I wish you luck wherever you end up.
I am currently looking a little closer to home than california, although I think that the state is beautiful. Florida is somewhat far, but the fact that Kenedy Space Center is located there makes up for it, the rest of the schools I am currently looking at are in the North-Eastern states, which aren't too far from Ottawa, Canada.

Perhaps for Grad school I will be able to get into Caltech or MIT...that's a few years away though! :biggrin:

Thank you, I'll keep you posted on how things turn out.

Well, if Kennedy Space Center is a reason you're applying to schools in Florida, I would think Northrop Grumman, General Dynamics, Boeing, JPL, etc would be incentive to apply to school in California. No matter, I understand if you don't want to stray too far from home.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If I were you, I'd try for MIT, Caltech, Cornell, and two decents schools you know you will get in.

You have to try hard.

Added Note: For Canada, University of Waterloo is the best engineering school. Also, other great schools for engineering are University of Toronto, and McMaster University. I've never heard of Carleton being up there. :grumpy:

JasonRox said:
If I were you, I'd try for MIT, Caltech, Cornell, and two decents schools you know you will get in.

You have to try hard.

Added Note: For Canada, University of Waterloo is the best engineering school. Also, other great schools for engineering are University of Toronto, and McMaster University. I've never heard of Carleton being up there. :grumpy:
UoT and Waterloo are my top 2 for Canadian universities. Preferably UoT because they have Engineering Science which gives me the opportunity to specialize in Aerospace in my 3rd and 4th years. :biggrin:

Perhaps I will look further into applying to MIT and Caltech...obviously it would be incredible to be given the opportunity to go there...I was thinking of leaving those applications until I reach grad school....some of the best research in the world is done at those schools.

Poop-Loops said:
Yes, but if you get accepted as an "oddball", do you think your chances of graduating are very high?
PL
contrary to popular belief, high school academic performance is a poor indicator of university academic performance.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
leright said:
contrary to popular belief, high school academic performance is a poor indicator of university academic performance.
SOOOOO TRUE!!!

jsaxton said:
Rocketboy: I'm a second-year American student at the University of Minnesota, but I have recently been contemplating finishing up my EE degree somewhere outside of the US. The University of Alberta seemed like the best fit for me, simply because it was above average academically and Alberta seems like a beautiful place. If you have any info on Canadian Engineering schools I'd love to hear it.
Alberta's a good choice... Most consider U of Alberta the 2nd best Engg. school in Canada, next to Waterloo, with Toronto closely trailing.

I've also heard of Alberta being ranked about 7th in North America... with places like MIT, Caltech, Stanford, and Waterloo ahead of it.

So there's my info (from what I've heard). I go to Ualberta and I love it. Alberta is a beautiful place, but Edmonton isn't necessarily. Remember, saying Alberta is a beautiful place is like saying a few European countries combined are beautiful. The Rockie Mountains are our biggest tourist attraction, and we have the biggest mall in the world; West Edmonton Mall :D

remeber that you canalways work your way up. You can go to a decent university for some time and then look to transfer to a top university.
Just a thought

ek
Ztalin said:
I go to Ualberta and I love it. Alberta is a beautiful place, but Edmonton isn't necessarily. Remember, saying Alberta is a beautiful place is like saying a few European countries combined are beautiful. The Rockie Mountains are our biggest tourist attraction, and we have the biggest mall in the world; West Edmonton Mall :D
This is right on the money. Alberta may be a beautiful province as a whole, but the city of Edmonton is a dump. It is very far removed from the beautiful towns of Jasper and Banff and the city of Calgary.

A Calgarian's favourite jab: "You know your city is sad when its claim to fame is a stinkin' mall".

UA is a very good school though. Kicks UC's ass in most areas.

to rocketboy

i'm also interested in aerospace related jobs... i'm currently studying physics in the philippines. given the chance to study in the states after physics, i'd choose caltech. they have NASA's JPL.

so what happened to your application?

jtbell
Mentor
Wherever he is, he's probably a junior now. Look at the date on his first post in this thread. :smile:

fluidistic
Gold Member
Look at his profile :
Second year mechanical engineering student at the University of Toronto.

In terms of theoretical physics, UC SB is pretty good eh?
I am applying to
Brown
MIT
Caltech
Stanford
for their physics :P