Gr.12 Student Facing University Dilemma - Physics & Math Career

• Schools
  • Thread starter Splendour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary: Which universities are you applying to?I applied to University of Waterloo and University of Toronto. My GPA is good but I'm not sure if I'm good enough for math at Waterloo. I like their co-op program but I'm not sure if I'd do well in a competitive environment. I also like the campus at University of Toronto.
Splendour
Hi! I'm a current Gr.12 student and facing the heavy decision of choosing a university...I like physics and mathematics and would like to pursue somekind of career involving one or both of these fields. Here's the universities I've been accepted to and the scholarships I received:

University of Waterloo: Honors Mathematics Co-op
$2000 first year with possible $3000 second year

University of Toronto: Mathematical and Physical Science
$8000 first year with guaranteed $1000 every year if GPA above 3.5

University of British Columbia: General Science
$4000 first year; on waiting list for Major Entrance Scholarship so possibly in total $8000 or more.

McGill University: General Science
$3000 first year.

I'm going to be living in residence for all those universities...and I am leaning towards picking between Waterloo and UofT, unless UBC gives SIGNIFIGANT amount of money more. I like UofT's campus and I especially some of the courses they offer. Although I really like math and physics I also have a strong interest in arts and UofT has some very interesting side arts courses I would like to take, which, perhaps, is just for interest sake and for fun. Of course, they also gives out the most money. Waterloo's co-op program is very attractive despite that they give out the least scholarship first year, and I hear they are the best in the business for math, but I'm hesitating because though I'm first place in math right now in my IB class and calculus so far is really easy for me, I'm still not sure if I'd do well in such a competitive place as Waterloo (I have NEVER done well in math contests except once, that was a fluke). and it really seems I don't get to do any fun courses other than serious math. (don't get me wrong, I enjoy math. But sometimes I feel I should take some time off it just to relax my brain.) so...what should I do? Any advices? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, I didnt know U of T gives out that much money. I only applied to Western and Windsor, and Windsor gave out a lot but they are a crap school. Western only gives $2000 for having a 90% average.

It's $5000 UofT Scholar award plus 3000 from Victoria college...UofT scholarships are weird, I never quite understood their system...*shrug*...

Wow, you must be getting 6's and 7's everywhere to get those kind of scholarships!

1. What are the career options for a Gr.12 student facing a university dilemma in Physics and Math?

There are various career options for a Gr.12 student with a strong background in Physics and Math. Some of the most common career paths include becoming a physicist, mathematician, engineer, data analyst, financial analyst, or computer programmer. These fields require a solid understanding of Physics and Math principles and offer a wide range of job opportunities in different industries.

2. Is it beneficial to pursue a degree in both Physics and Math?

Pursuing a double major in Physics and Math can be highly beneficial as it allows you to combine both analytical and theoretical skills. This can open up more career opportunities in fields such as research, data analysis, and engineering. It also shows employers that you have a diverse skillset and are able to excel in multiple disciplines.

3. How can a student prepare for a university program in Physics and Math?

To prepare for a university program in Physics and Math, students can take advanced courses in these subjects in high school. They can also participate in extracurricular activities such as math and science clubs, as well as seek out internships or research opportunities. It is also important to have a strong understanding of fundamental concepts and problem-solving skills.

4. What are the potential challenges of pursuing a career in Physics and Math?

Pursuing a career in Physics and Math can be challenging as it requires a high level of critical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical abilities. Some fields, such as research and academia, can also be highly competitive. It is important to be prepared to face these challenges and continuously work on improving your skills.

5. What are the key skills and qualities needed for a successful career in Physics and Math?

Some key skills and qualities that are important for a successful career in Physics and Math include a strong foundation in math and science, analytical and critical thinking abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work independently and as part of a team. Communication skills and adaptability are also crucial, as many careers in these fields involve collaborating with others and adapting to new technologies and developments.