1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools University Entrance

1. Sep 12, 2005 #1
    Does anyone know of any way to get into university without a high school diploma?

I'm not talking about an online distance university that is only accredited on some indian reserve no one has ever heard of. I'm looking for a real university, with real professors, with a real physics department, on a real campus, that grants real degrees.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2005 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

My advice would be to contact the admissions office of the university that you are interested in, explain your situation to them, and ask whether they have any procedure by which you can demonstrate that you are capable of doing university-level work (e.g. by examination).

4. Sep 12, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Reed College (in Portland, Oregon), a really excellent liberal arts college, I know will admit students without highs school diplomas- of course, they expect top test grades, etc.

(And, by the way, I don't much like your knock on Indians. University of New Delhi, for example, is highly thought of!)

Unless you can prove you are a genius I would recommend taking the time to get a GED.

5. Sep 12, 2005 #4
    LOL, he was referring to Native American reservation universities, not Indian universities.

6. Sep 12, 2005 #5
    Yes, I was referring to 'universities' that are accredited on reserves for some reason or another, and so they sell degrees to people with no real qualifications.

7. Sep 12, 2005 #6
    I think quite a few private universities don't require you to have a highschool diploma to get accepted or apply. But you better have a good excuse, and some really good qualifications, that is if you want to get into a good college.

8. Sep 12, 2005 #7

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I was in a similar situation before I got my GED. I found that some of the more selective universities didn't require a HS diploma or GED, and I presume this is because they have so many other requirements and high standards. For instance, MIT doesn't require a HS diploma or GED, but anyone without the equivalent of a HS education has no real chance of being accepted anyway. It was the local colleges that required a high school diploma or GED, and that was usually the only requirement.

Getting your GED may still be worth it for you, whatever you decide to do. Any extra show of commitment and accomplishment could only help, and your scores could possibly make up somewhat for any deficiencies in your transcript (in the US, the scores provide a national 'class' ranking, ex. top 5% nationally). The GED teachers may also be willing to provide recommendations, which, if you don't have any from your HS or other teachers, would be better than nothing.
    The test was a breeze for me. You may want to at least go take the first round of pretests to see where you are. They have classes to help you prepare if you need or want them. And you may end up acing the pretests and moving straight ahead to the real one. :smile:

9. Sep 12, 2005 #8
    I'm having hell trying to get into USC,Rice, or UT.

Without a diploma..........hahahahahaha!

10. Sep 13, 2005 #9
    There's no need to ridicule the question was valid, and we don't know the context of the situation, the person never said they wanted to get into a very competative college such as Rice.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?