1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools University league tables

1. Jun 7, 2012 #1
    Hi there

Can anyone recommend what is the best freely accessible (global) league tables for University's performance in all fields of physics?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I have no idea what you mean by "league" or "league tables" here.

4. Jun 7, 2012 #3
    by league tables I mean the tables that different groups have devised that compare the performance of universities by different metrics.
    In the case of a physics league table, it would roughly speaking mean that those universities that do the best research and that are most prolific in physics research would be placed top of the table (just like a like a league table!) and universities that perform less well by these metrics would be placed lower down.

Presumably there are many different metrics by which one would chose how good a university is in the area of physics (eg. teaching undergrads, physics research, etc.). The metric that would must interest me is physics research as I wish to do a PhD in physics.

5. Jun 7, 2012 #4
    ARWU is the site I normally use. I would take everything I see from these websites with a grain of salt.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook