University of South Carolina's Nuclear Program

In summary, the University of South Carolina offers a comprehensive Nuclear Program that prepares students for careers in the nuclear industry. The program includes courses in nuclear engineering, physics, and chemistry, as well as hands-on training through internships and research opportunities. Graduates of the program have a strong understanding of nuclear technology and are well-equipped to work in areas such as power generation, nuclear medicine, and national defense. The university's state-of-the-art facilities and partnerships with industry leaders provide students with a valuable and practical education in this growing field. Overall, the University of South Carolina's Nuclear Program offers a rigorous and well-rounded education for those interested in pursuing a career in the nuclear industry.
caldweab
Do you guys think USC has a decent nuclear engineering graduate program or should I consider somewhere else?

Physics news on Phys.org
USC nuclear engineering graduate program is not a very robust program. It has been around for a few years, but unless you have a specific reason for going there I'd recommend going to more established programs.

Of course, the real questions are: What are you wanting to go to graduate school for? Terminal Masters? Masters/PhD? What is your field of interest in nuclear engineering? What is your initial degree in? Are you trying to do a distance masters degree?

Thermalne said:
USC nuclear engineering graduate program is not a very robust program. It has been around for a few years, but unless you have a specific reason for going there I'd recommend going to more established programs.

Of course, the real questions are: What are you wanting to go to graduate school for? Terminal Masters? Masters/PhD? What is your field of interest in nuclear engineering? What is your initial degree in? Are you trying to do a distance masters degree?

Yes I was interested in their masters of engineering program, and doing it online. I'll have a bachelors in Nuclear Engineering with a minor in physics and applied math next may. I just want to work while I work on a masters, not really interested in staying in school another 1.5 years. I was also thinking of doing NC States's online MS in Mechanical engineering with a focus in heat and mass transfer since the whole purpose of the reactor is to generate useful heat energy or going with their M.Eng. in Nuclear Engineering.

caldweab said:
Yes I was interested in their masters of engineering program, and doing it online. I'll have a bachelors in Nuclear Engineering with a minor in physics and applied math next may. I just want to work while I work on a masters, not really interested in staying in school another 1.5 years. I was also thinking of doing NC States's online MS in Mechanical engineering with a focus in heat and mass transfer since the whole purpose of the reactor is to generate useful heat energy or going with their M.Eng. in Nuclear Engineering.

I'd highly recommend going with NCSU ME program if you are planning on doing Heat and Mass transfer related work or any other related masters program in Mechanical Engineering. Also, what is your reason for getting a masters in engineering? Why type of job are you trying to get? Utility? Vendor? Third Party? Depending on where would make getting a masters in ME or NE completely useless and a massive waste of money.

Eventually I want to work in R&D at either a vendor or national lab. Duke energy flat out said you don't need advanced degrees to move up there but they do support getting them, and I really don't want to be trapped at a power plant for my whole career

caldweab said:
Eventually I want to work in R&D at either a vendor or national lab. Duke energy flat out said you don't need advanced degrees to move up there but they do support getting them, and I really don't want to be trapped at a power plant for my whole career

If you want to do R&D at a Vendor or National Lab, you'll more than likely need a PhD in Nuclear Engineering or related field. The days of being able to do heavy R&D at a vendor with a master's degree is long gone. There are some isolated cases, but most people at large vendors in the R&D groups are PhDs. If you have a desire to do research then you need to heavily consider applying for a full masters program in NE or programs that do work related to it. The nuclear field, more specifically nuclear energy is doing very poorly state side. I'd recommend getting an advanced degree before things pick up again.

To add to what Thermalne said, if you want to do hardcore R & D at a vendor or national lab then I would highly recommend physically going (instead of an online program) to a reputed university such as Wisconsin, MIT, Michigan or Texas for a PhD.

nukapprentice said:
To add to what Thermalne said, if you want to do hardcore R & D at a vendor or national lab then I would highly recommend physically going (instead of an online program) to a reputed university such as Wisconsin, MIT, Michigan or Texas for a PhD.

Or NCSU, UTK, Georgia Tech, Purdue, and Oregon State. The listed schools have very healthy nuclear engineering programs and are expanding their programs very heavily. (Except for Purdue and Georgia Tech, but they are based in amazing colleges of engineering and have very notable professors/research there.) Although I wouldn't encourage someone to use the graduate rankings on the USnews website (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ineering-schools/nuclear-engineering-rankings) they do show the strongest (research) programs in the top ten. Excluding a few based on my own opinion, most of the top 10-15 are worth their salt in their programs and have a lot of good things going for them. I'd heavily avoid programs that have less than 7 professors (critical mass for a nuclear department) or do not have a good range of research. If you are very interested in the thermal hydraulics side of nuclear engineering please heavily consider Texas A&M, Oregon State University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, MIT, and NCSU. Sorry for the Wall o text.

Thermalne said:
Or NCSU, UTK, Georgia Tech, Purdue, and Oregon State. The listed schools have very healthy nuclear engineering programs and are expanding their programs very heavily. (Except for Purdue and Georgia Tech, but they are based in amazing colleges of engineering and have very notable professors/research there.) Although I wouldn't encourage someone to use the graduate rankings on the USnews website (http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ineering-schools/nuclear-engineering-rankings) they do show the strongest (research) programs in the top ten. Excluding a few based on my own opinion, most of the top 10-15 are worth their salt in their programs and have a lot of good things going for them. I'd heavily avoid programs that have less than 7 professors (critical mass for a nuclear department) or do not have a good range of research. If you are very interested in the thermal hydraulics side of nuclear engineering please heavily consider Texas A&M, Oregon State University, University of Wisconsin-Madison, MIT, and NCSU. Sorry for the Wall o text.

That's great but those are very competetive schools and what would you say if an applicant were rejected from most/all of the top tens? Do you think USC would be a completely worthless degree and a PhD in N.E. would not be worth doing unless it was at one of those top tens you mentioned?

Hercuflea said:
That's great but those are very competetive schools and what would you say if an applicant were rejected from most/all of the top tens? Do you think USC would be a completely worthless degree and a PhD in N.E. would not be worth doing unless it was at one of those top tens you mentioned?

Honestly, a lot of the top 20 schools in Nuclear Engineering are state schools with similar standards. If you can't get into any of the top ten, you might have to evaluate why you're having problems getting into any of those schools. The schools lining the 11-20 spots are all pretty reasonable schools with somewhat healthly programs and would be worth going to. I'd recommend going to University of Florida or University of New Mexico before I'd suggest going to USC's program. I'm not saying you couldn't be successful going USC's nuclear program either.

Well my other option was NC State for MS Mechanical Engineering (Mass and Heat Transfer) or MS Nuclear Engineering. I've heard it's best to round yourself out, and don't over specialize, so I'm leaning towards the MS Mechanical Engineering

caldweab said:
Well my other option was NC State for MS Mechanical Engineering (Mass and Heat Transfer) or MS Nuclear Engineering. I've heard it's best to round yourself out, and don't over specialize, so I'm leaning towards the MS Mechanical Engineering

That's entirely dependent on what you are looking to do. NCSU has a great program either way.

What is the University of South Carolina's Nuclear Program?

The University of South Carolina's Nuclear Program is a multidisciplinary program that offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in nuclear engineering, radiation science, and health physics. It also conducts research in areas such as nuclear energy, radiological protection, and nuclear waste management.

What types of degrees are offered in the Nuclear Program at the University of South Carolina?

The Nuclear Program at the University of South Carolina offers both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Undergraduate students can pursue a Bachelor of Science in Nuclear Engineering or a Bachelor of Science in Radiation Science. Graduate students can choose from a Master of Science in Nuclear Engineering, a Master of Science in Health Physics, or a Doctor of Philosophy in Nuclear Engineering.

What are the job opportunities for graduates of the University of South Carolina's Nuclear Program?

Graduates of the University of South Carolina's Nuclear Program have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as nuclear power, nuclear medicine, and national laboratories. They can also work in government agencies, research institutions, and consulting firms.

What research areas are focused on in the University of South Carolina's Nuclear Program?

The University of South Carolina's Nuclear Program conducts research in various areas related to nuclear science and engineering. Some of the current research areas include nuclear energy systems, nuclear security and safeguards, nuclear waste management, radiological protection, and medical physics.

Are there any internships or hands-on experiences available in the University of South Carolina's Nuclear Program?

Yes, the University of South Carolina's Nuclear Program offers internships and hands-on experiences for students to gain practical skills and knowledge. These opportunities are available through partnerships with industry, government agencies, and national laboratories. Students can also participate in research projects with faculty members to gain research experience.