• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Schools University of Waterloo

• Thread starter Atomos
  • Start date
JasonRox are currently doing math at Brock?

I'm just wondering because I also am going to Brock. I'm currentyl first year in the math department.

Your exactly right when you say undergrad doesn't really matter. I was accepted into McMaster, UofT and Brock, but i choose Brock for several reasons. Namely I got the most money from scholarships from them and it's about 15 minutes away so its less stress and generally just easier for me. I just picked the best conditions where I could get a good marks and then go to a school like Waterloo or UofT for my masters or PhD.

JasonRox said:
I actually thought they had none in the mathematics department.

I visited their school last year with my girlfriend. We were in the math department and naturally I had to go to the washroom. Then my girlfriend had to go, but we couldn't find a girls washroom in the math department!!!

funny you should say that because whenever I try to find the bathooms, I always end up at the women's room and have to walk across the entire hall!

morphism

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
JasonRox said:
I actually thought they had none in the mathematics department.
There is one girl in the three math courses I'm taking right now, and maybe 40 guys.

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
k3232x said:
JasonRox are currently doing math at Brock?

I'm just wondering because I also am going to Brock. I'm currentyl first year in the math department.

Your exactly right when you say undergrad doesn't really matter. I was accepted into McMaster, UofT and Brock, but i choose Brock for several reasons. Namely I got the most money from scholarships from them and it's about 15 minutes away so its less stress and generally just easier for me. I just picked the best conditions where I could get a good marks and then go to a school like Waterloo or UofT for my masters or PhD.
Yeah, I'm a math major at Brock University. I'm in third year.

I heard bad news about the average on the Calculus I midterms. What happened there?

The class median was 38%. I got 75% which isn't that bad, but still could be better. It was my first university midterm, I didn't really know what to expect. In HS all what we did was compute questions, but most of the midterm was explaining concepts, theorems and ideas which was different then what I am use too.

Sisyphus said:
uwaterloo math is something like 3:7 :confused:
are they all at sir wilfred laurier then or what?

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
k3232x said:
The class median was 38%. I got 75% which isn't that bad, but still could be better. It was my first university midterm, I didn't really know what to expect. In HS all what we did was compute questions, but most of the midterm was explaining concepts, theorems and ideas which was different then what I am use too.
Yeah, that's brutal.

I couldn't believe it.

Who's your prof.?

Prof. Ralph. I was talking to him today, he said that the most asked asked question during the exam was what is the equation for area of a circle. I couldn't believe it. He said "The high school system is ****ed". Those where his EXACT words.

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
k3232x said:
Prof. Ralph. I was talking to him today, he said that the most asked asked question during the exam was what is the equation for area of a circle. I couldn't believe it. He said "The high school system is ****ed". Those where his EXACT words.
I know!

Ralph is an awesome professor! I have no idea how this can happen.

He's a great teacher. He's euthiastic and passionate about mathematics. He cares about his students.

It's unfortunate that his students let him down like that. I should start working harder myself, so I can better represent my professors.

jtbell

Mentor
k3232x said:
he said that the most asked asked question during the exam was what is the equation for area of a circle.
I think I've had students ask me that, too, but from what I've read about Waterloo, I'm surprised that many students who can get in there in the first place, need to ask a question like that.

The one who really sticks in my mind is the one who asked "what's the surface area of a cube?" This was on a question that asked the student to calculate the electric flux through the surface of a cube of a certain size, due to a charge of a certain magnitude inside it. I can understand not recognizing it as a Gauss's Law problem, but...

JasonRox

Homework Helper
Gold Member
jtbell said:
I think I've had students ask me that, too, but from what I've read about Waterloo, I'm surprised that many students who can get in there in the first place, need to ask a question like that.
That's Brock, not Waterloo.

You wouldn't get into Waterloo like that.

Also, it's not like the students are stupid, their very smart people, it's just that the high school system is so screwed up. They are smart enough to understand it, its just they were never taught it.