University of wisconsin(madison)

• Schools
  • Thread starter HappMatt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, Madison is a great school and has a very good program. It is also a very social and aesthetic place to be.
HappMatt
I am very interested in going to this college for bio-medical engineering. I was wandering if anybody has been there or has any good opinions on the school and there bio program. Right now I am at a local community college and am thinking i might transfer there for spring semester 2006 or just finish my 2 yrs at my community college and go to either UofW or UofM(only because of how convienent it is for me)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're going into biomedical engineering, that's quite different from biology. Make sure you're applying to an engineering program, because biomedical engineering requires courses such as electrical engineering that you're definitely not going to get as a biology major. Both universities have generally good reputations, but I don't know much about what they offer specifically in biomedical engineering.

In terms of general impressions, I think Madison is a more fun town than Ann Arbor, and also a prettier campus (the town itself doesn't "look" as pretty, but it had more of a college town feel and was more affordable when I visited there...I lived in Ann Arbor a while, and it's pretty expensive). But you'll have to check out the reputation of the specific program you're interested in. Compare the course offerings and see if there are substantial differences, and then decide which one fits more with what you want to get out of your education.

My brother-in-laws wife went there for grad school. She said it had a very 'collegiate' atmosphere with lots of bookstores, coffee shops, etc.

HappMatt said:
I am very interested in going to this college for bio-medical engineering. I was wandering if anybody has been there or has any good opinions on the school and there bio program. Right now I am at a local community college and am thinking i might transfer there for spring semester 2006 or just finish my 2 yrs at my community college and go to either UofW or UofM(only because of how convienent it is for me)

Since we have a rather sparse response here, I'll chime in...

I spent 4 years at UW for my undergraduate degree in physics. So I can't say much about the bio-medical program there. I can say something about the school in general. It is one of the best places to study. In terms of facility and support, it is as good as any.

Fairly or unfaily, it does have a reputation as being a "party school", at least during the 80's. Just like the University of Colorado, that label doesn't accurately reflect the fact that many of the academic program are highly ranked. When I was there, the Chem E program was ranked either #1 or #2 in the country, the Medical Physics program was #5, etc.

It is a very good school, and a wonderful place to study. Madison in general has been in many surveys of being one of the best cities in the US to live in. Either way, you can't go wrong.

Zz.

It's great to see someone else interested in BME! Welcome! I don't attend Madison, but my girlfriend does so I have visited it several times. I love the campus and I find it wonderful! It's great because it has a ton of places to go to such as restaurants, coffee shops ( like mentioned before), and nice shops for any interest.
With the social/aesthetic aspect aside, I have researched and found that it has a pretty good GRAD program, but that it's undergrad was good as well. If I ever left my present school to enter another BME program, I would deffinetly consider Madison. It is a fine choice. Goodluck :cool:

well it seems you guys have pretty much confirmed a lot of what I've heard. I have also heard that it can be a bit of a party school, but lukily I am 24 and slightly past that phase of life so although i will enjoy some parties I know why i want to go. I am also glad to here that its a good place to study and that their faculty is good also. All i have to do know is spend 1 or 2 semesters at my local comunity college getting that darn GPA up. I spoke via email to one of their councilers and I guess their biomed engineering program if very competitive and that in the last few semesters the GPA cutoff has been at about 3.5. I think I am going to hybernate with a couple books this fall. And that's for the replies. I recently found this forum and its nice to see a forum with some very intelligent people in it.

1. What is the history of the University of Wisconsin (Madison)?

The University of Wisconsin (Madison) was founded in 1848 and is the flagship campus of the University of Wisconsin System. It began as a land-grant institution and has since become a prestigious research university with a strong focus on public service and community engagement.

2. What programs and majors does the University of Wisconsin (Madison) offer?

The University of Wisconsin (Madison) offers over 200 undergraduate majors and certificates, as well as over 250 graduate and professional programs. Some of its most popular majors include business, engineering, biology, and psychology.

3. How competitive is admissions at the University of Wisconsin (Madison)?

Admissions at the University of Wisconsin (Madison) are highly competitive. The university receives thousands of applications each year and has an acceptance rate of around 50%. It looks for applicants who have a strong academic record, diverse experiences, and a commitment to community service.

4. What is the campus life like at the University of Wisconsin (Madison)?

The University of Wisconsin (Madison) has a vibrant campus life with over 900 student organizations, Division I sports teams, and a wide range of cultural and social events. The university also has a strong commitment to sustainability and offers many opportunities for students to get involved in environmental initiatives.

5. What research opportunities are available at the University of Wisconsin (Madison)?

The University of Wisconsin (Madison) is a top research institution, with over $1 billion in annual research expenditures. Students have the opportunity to work on groundbreaking research projects with renowned faculty in areas such as biotechnology, healthcare, and sustainability. The university also offers many funding and grant opportunities for research projects.