McGill University Physics: Find a Mentor & Decide Where to Go

In summary, the conversation covers various topics related to applying for university and finding a good mentor. The conversation suggests that staying in Canada for undergraduate studies may be a better option due to lower tuition fees and the possibility of attending a top university such as the University of Waterloo or the University of Toronto. The importance of finding a good mentor is also emphasized, as they can provide guidance and direction towards achieving academic goals. It is also suggested to do research and find a university that aligns with personal goals and preferences, as the name of the university may not necessarily matter in the world of physics.
Logik
Alright well I won't be applying for university till next year but I was wondering what's best to do... I was thinking to go McGill University (http://www.physics.mcgill.ca/ ) in Montreal as it is closed to me but is it better to like go in USA or in a foreign country to start off or I'm I better just staying local & then leave to sudy elsewhere...

also... some poeple told me it's very important to find a good mentor... but how does it work... I'm kinda mixed up... if anyone can clear up how does university works it would be great...

Physics news on Phys.org
Stay in Canada.

If you want top notch go to the University of Waterloo or the University of Toronto.

In the US, they rape you with tuition fees. If you aren't going to MIT, Princeton, Caltech, etc... you wasting your money in the US.

You always have graduate school and you can go to the US for that, which I might do myself. Note: Canadian schools are cheap when paying graduate students.

Note: Get a good mentor who cares about your success, and take his/her advice. Make sure this person has a Master's in Physics or higher, for your case, because they have true experience, which is better than some guy on PF.

Note: It's easier the computer is messed up (highly doubt this) or this website is falling apart because it doesn't work half the time.

am curious.. how would a mentor help? and does this mentor need to be someone teachin at a university,etc?

Someone that would give you direction.

For example, if your goal was to learn General Relativity, the mentor would direct towards the needs of accomplishing that goal. It will take the school system 4-5 years to get there, but in reality you can shave off a year or two on that waitlist. The mentor can direct you to the right material and textbooks, but of course you do the work on your own with no credit.

That's the way I look at it. Also, a mentor can help you through tough times when you think your not going to make it. A good mentor would either tell you straight up you can't do it (if that is the case) and give you alternatives, but if he/she believes that you can do it, the mentor will motivate you.

I say that a mentor will tell you can't make it because that would be the wise thing to do if that truly is the case. A lot of students want to become certain things, but just can't do it. This is why you have alternatives, which a mentor would suggest. For example, if you are having a hard time achieving certain marks for the Physics degree for whatever reason, an alternative would be to take a smaller courseload and stretch program period to 4 to 5 years, which will give you more time to focus and work.

Some profs would be happy to give direction and advice, so don't be afraid to ask.

Note: It's easier the computer is messed up (highly doubt this) or this website is falling apart because it doesn't work half the time.

What ?

If you want top notch go to the University of Waterloo or the University of Toronto.

Ok... thanks for the info but is Mcgill any good or any university in Quebec? or is Queens any good as I'm a sailor & it would be great to study & train in Kingston...

Also I'm not too familiar with the english terms when you say graduate school that's after completing what we call "Bacalauréat' so like 3-4 years of university right ? so undergraduate, graduate , PhD ?

Finally as your a fellow Canadian what are best resource for physics in Canada... find out were the is conference & stuff.. & general resource for Canadian physisis?

Thank you in advance

Forget about the note above.

I believe Concordia has a good program, for mathematics anyways.

McGill is a Business School and nothing else it seems.

Note: Graduate School is after you get your Undergraduate Degree.

My dad went to McGill for graduate school a few decades back (the very same institution as the place where the Rutherford gold foil experiment was conducted). He went there for physics but switched over to EE... he's told me often he quite enjoyed going there. Of course grad school isn't the same as undergrad but they must be pretty decent.
Here's an idea if you want to get a gauge on what type of school it is: contact the admissions department and ask them if you could get ahold of an undergraduate's email who is currently studying physics there (or check the physics department for the same). That undergrad will probably be able to tell you what it's really like to go to school there and how it compares to other universities. They can also tell you if the quality of living on the campus is good which is a VERY important factor in deciding where you go to college!

humm ok I'l try that... so what's are the best university's for Physics in Canada.. Waterloo & Toronto ?

Logik said:
humm ok I'l try that... so what's are the best university's for Physics in Canada.. Waterloo & Toronto ?

There is no such thing as "the best".

You must figure that one out for yourself.

Find a school that will do what you want them to do. If you want to start, quantum physics or abstract algebra early, find a school that will do that. If you want rigorous math or physics, find a school that will do that. If you want lots of free time, find a school that implements that.

In the world of physics, it don't matter what school you go if you make sure you know what you are suppose know and more. You can go to McGill and come out better than an MIT student, and in my opinion, the world of physics or mathematics won't care. Sure the name on the paper is impressive, but you're published work is more important if you get any.

Asking which is the best is like asking "who's the hottest girl in the world?"

well then which one is seen as the best in Canada...
US = MIT
CAN = ?

I was wondering how hard it is to get into MIT ... If I got to mgill & get good grades can I get in MIT for graduate... how good do you have to be to get a scholarship to MIT? I don't know crap about university's & the guy that is suposed to help us doesn't know jack****... I want to do what's best for me without ruining myself... I want to have the nice names on paper if it can help me get a better job or more interesting one...

can someone tell me what is undergraduate & graduate & then what's next before PhD ? I live in Quebec & our system is different... not only because it's french bus also because after high school we got cegep before university...
here you have :

High School which is grade 7 to 11
Then CEGEP which is grade 12 to 13
Then you go to university to make a Bacalauréat which is 2-4 years
Then you have Maitrise which is another 2-3 years
Then Doctorat (wich is PhD)

whats is what in conresponding english system.. I'm in grade 12 which is CEGEP not yet University... I'm I undergraduate or like college ... I'm lost

I believe undergradute means Bachelor's degree and graduate stands for Master's degree. Don't know for certain, since I'm not from USA either. In here between a master's and a doctorate there's licensiate (or some such).

Bacalauréat - Bachelors (Undergraduate)
Maitrise - Master's (Graduate)
After this it is your Ph.D, but you can skip your Master's straight to Ph. D.

Yes, you can go to MIT for graduate school from McGill. You must earn your way into graduate school, just like everyone. Going to MIT for your Bachelors (Bacalauréat) will not get you in MIT for your Master's (Maitrise).

Going to a particular school won't get you a Ph. D either. You have to write the papers. You have to do the research. You have to do the work. In the meantime, this is all done for your own sake. There is no due date and there is no particular topic. You must choose your own thesis and go from there.

This isn't Business School where you can just get your degree and earn your way to the top. In the world of Science and Mathematics, you must work.

1. What is the purpose of finding a mentor in McGill University's Physics program?

Finding a mentor in McGill University's Physics program can provide valuable guidance and support throughout your academic journey. Your mentor can offer advice on course selection, research opportunities, and career paths.

2. How can I find a mentor in McGill University's Physics program?

You can find a mentor by reaching out to faculty members in the Physics department and expressing your interest in their research. You can also attend departmental events and network with graduate students to find potential mentors.

3. What factors should I consider when deciding where to go for my Physics education at McGill University?

When deciding where to go for your Physics education at McGill University, you should consider factors such as the reputation and ranking of the department, available research opportunities, faculty expertise, and resources for students.

4. How can I determine if McGill University's Physics program is the right fit for me?

You can determine if McGill University's Physics program is the right fit for you by researching the curriculum, faculty profiles, and research opportunities. You can also reach out to current students or alumni to learn about their experiences in the program.

5. What resources are available for students in McGill University's Physics program?

McGill University's Physics program offers a variety of resources for students, including research opportunities, study groups, tutoring services, and career development support. The department also has a strong network of alumni who can provide valuable advice and support for students.