1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unknown angle in equilibrium

1. Oct 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Trying to find angle u of bars (symmetrical) with ground at equilibrium under load.
    Two bars, negligible weight of length .4m
    Spring at midpoint k = 3kN/m, unstretched when bars at 45 deg
    F = 150N, 5 deg
    W of block 10kg
    Slope of ground under block 5 deg
    coef friction = .2

2. Relevant equations

Fx = 0 = Ax + 150sin5 - Nsin5 - .2Ncos5
    Fy = 0 = Ay - 150cos5 + Ncos5 - .2Nsin5
    Ma = 0 = 150cos5*.4cosu + 150sin5*.4sinu - Ncos5*.8cosu + .2Nsin5*.8cosu

3. The attempt at a solution

4 unknowns, Ax, Ay, u, N.... this course doesn't include indeterminate structures so I tried anyway. Since I could not get an answer via the standard eq equations I tried to eliminate a variable first in the whole structure then by doing a FBD of the block. I got N in terms of u but it still doesn't work anything out. It's incredibly messy using the block FBD and I re-did it several times because I kept finding errors but I eventually got to a quadratic of tan(u) that spit out ~56.1 deg. which is the closest thing to a reasonable value I've gotten, but that value doesn't seem to work when I run with it. I tried to find a trig identity that would simplify things, but can not work anything out.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

That 45°, is it relative to the other bar or relative to the vertical?

4. Oct 17, 2013 #3
    It's relative to the horizontal actually.... but at 45 that's the same as vertical. The angles of both bars relative to the horizontal ground.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted