Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unknown fly

1. Nov 22, 2016 #1
    hi friends,
    I am very much excited to know about those white flies.
    they are very small but much irritating. I usually went to my educational institution in morning where I could find them in large crowd. I always tried to search about it. I also googled many times but I could not recollect any specific information as I don't know its name.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2016 #2
    Need more information on these "white flies" :)

Where do you live?

4. Nov 22, 2016 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"White fly" is usually reference to "mothlike" beasties on fuchsia and hanging basket type plants, or tomato, or pepper, or other annuals.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitefly

5. Nov 22, 2016 #4

BillTre

Science Advisor

There are lots of small fly-like things, for example drain flies, which can be smaller than Drosophila melanogaster (2-3 mm).
    More information is needed or an ID.

You might want to catch some and look at them (probably with a magnifying glass or dissecting microscope) or photograph them (which is better, but it has to show details).
    Many insects can be knocked out (undamaged dead would work too) with CO 2 gas or cold (refrigerator or freezer). Ether and other volatile organic solvents work too but can blow up or be toxic.

If you can get a picture, you could post it here and/or do a google image search (this can lead to websites with similar pictures which might provide an ID).
    Take pictures of a several flies since there could be sexual dimorphism (different forms for different sexes).

Things to note:
    How many wings do they have (true flies have one pair of obvious wings, most other insects have two pair)?
    Do they bite?
    Is there a lot of water around or some other place the larvae may live?
    Size range?
    Location (geographic, type of environment, temperature)
    Are they around a long time or only for short periods of time during the year?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted