What are these small white flies and how can I identify them?

• Thread starter shina
  • Start date
In summary: Are they an occasional problem or a major one?In summary, these white flies are small and irritating, and can be found in large numbers at educational institutions. They can be knocked out with CO 2 gas or cold, and ether and other volatile organic solvents can also work. If you can get a picture, you could post it here or do a google image search to find more information.
shina
hi friends,
I am very much excited to know about those white flies.
they are very small but much irritating. I usually went to my educational institution in morning where I could find them in large crowd. I always tried to search about it. I also googled many times but I could not recollect any specific information as I don't know its name.

Biology news on Phys.org
"White fly" is usually reference to "mothlike" beasties on fuchsia and hanging basket type plants, or tomato, or pepper, or other annuals.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitefly

There are lots of small fly-like things, for example drain flies, which can be smaller than Drosophila melanogaster (2-3 mm).
More information is needed or an ID.

You might want to catch some and look at them (probably with a magnifying glass or dissecting microscope) or photograph them (which is better, but it has to show details).
Many insects can be knocked out (undamaged dead would work too) with CO 2 gas or cold (refrigerator or freezer). Ether and other volatile organic solvents work too but can blow up or be toxic.

If you can get a picture, you could post it here and/or do a google image search (this can lead to websites with similar pictures which might provide an ID).
Take pictures of a several flies since there could be sexual dimorphism (different forms for different sexes).

Things to note:
How many wings do they have (true flies have one pair of obvious wings, most other insects have two pair)?
Do they bite?
Is there a lot of water around or some other place the larvae may live?
Size range?
Location (geographic, type of environment, temperature)
Are they around a long time or only for short periods of time during the year?

1. What are white flies?

White flies are small, winged insects that are closely related to aphids and scale insects. They are typically about 1/16 inch long and have whitish wings, which give them their name.

2. What plants do white flies commonly infest?

White flies are known to infest a wide range of plants, including vegetables, fruits, ornamentals, and weeds. Some common hosts include tomatoes, cucumbers, citrus trees, and poinsettias.

3. How do white flies damage plants?

White flies feed on plant sap, which can cause leaves to turn yellow, wilt, and eventually die. They also excrete a sticky substance called honeydew, which can attract other pests and promote the growth of sooty mold, further damaging the plants.

4. What are some methods for controlling white flies?

Some methods for controlling white flies include using natural predators, such as ladybugs and lacewings, introducing sticky traps, and applying insecticidal soap or neem oil. It is important to regularly monitor plants for infestations and take early action to prevent the spread of white flies.

5. Can white flies become resistant to insecticides?

Yes, white flies can develop resistance to insecticides if they are overused or used improperly. It is important to rotate between different types of insecticides and to follow the instructions on the label carefully to prevent resistance from developing.