Have These Hypercomplex Numbers Already Been Discovered?

• I
  • Thread starter puzzled fish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, hypercomplex numbers, which are a generalization of complex numbers, have been discovered and studied extensively in mathematics. The concept of hypercomplex numbers was first introduced by William Rowan Hamilton in the 19th century, and since then, different types of hypercomplex numbers have been explored, such as quaternions, octonions, and sedenions. These numbers have unique properties and have found applications in various fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics. While there is ongoing research and debate on the existence of additional hypercomplex numbers, the currently known ones have been well established and utilized in many mathematical and scientific contexts.
puzzled fish
Some time ago, I stumbled upon an interesting set of hypercomplex numbers. I thought that somebody else might have discovered them ( it was too facile a construction ) and forgot about them for many years.
Lately, I searched on the web and did not find any mention of their existence. I must admit I did not know where to look and if they had been discovered, I did not know their name.
So, being here in this great forum for a while, I am asking your permission to disclose them. Shall I go ahead?
I am giving myself a 99.999% chance that they've been already known and I wouldn't bother, but am too old now to keep them for myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to describe them. How do you define "hypercomplex numbers"? As is, it is just words.

Also can you provide some context like what problem you were trying to solve that helped you to discover these puppies.

Ok, I take it that permission has been granted now for me to post :They are constructed somewhat similar to the Quaternions, the only difference being : ## k = ij = 1- ji ##, hence they are neither commutative nor anti-commutative, (associativity still holds good.)
By this rule only , if ## i^2 = -1 ## and ## j^2 = -1 ## then ## k^3 = -1 ##. Notice this is a cube, not a square.
In the process, the rest of the combinations of the basis elements are recovered, namely :
## ki = jk = i + j ##,
## ik = -j ##,
## kj = -i ##,
## k^2 = k -1 ##.
Conjugation: The conjugate of ## a + bi + cj + dk ## is taken to be : ## a + d - bi - cj - dk ## ,
and the quadratic form is : ## a^2 + b^2 + c^2 + d^2 + ad - bc ## ,
thus giving rise to an unique left or right inverse ( like the Quaternions, they are both the same ) :
## \frac { a + d - bi - cj - dk } { a^2 + b^2 + c^2 + d^2 + ad - bc } ##

I call them the Quaternionoids ( a variant of the Quaternions. )

What would you use them for?

Quaternions have been used in physics. At one time, they were the dominant framework for Classical Mechanics championed by Hamilton until vectors came into the picture and superseded them primarily because the notation and concepts were simpler. More recently, quaternions have made somewhat of a comeback because they incorporate rotational orientation into the picture and are useful in computer graphics systems.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion

jedishrfu said:
More recently, quaternions have made somewhat of a comeback because they incorporate rotational orientation into the picture and are useful in computer graphics systems.
They have another nice property: ##SU(2,\mathbb{C}) \cong U(1,\mathbb{H})##. :smile:

Likes jedishrfu
I'm not convinced yet of associativity. But if, I would search for a basis transformation in ##\mathbb{H}##.

You may take my word for it, that by a laborious checking I have proven that my Quaternionoids are in their most general case, associative.

We should consider how this relates to the Frobenius theorem. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frobenius_theorem_(real_division_algebras)
From what I could gather from Wikipedia, I have the feeling that Frobenius theorem hinges on definite quadratic forms of this kind : ## a_1x_1^2 + a_2x_2^2 +..+ a_nx_n^2 ##.
Now ## x_1^2 + x_2^2 + x_3^2 + x_4^2 + x_1x_4 - x_2x_3 ##, the squared norm I described above, is certainly positive definite but not of this kind: ## a_1x_1^2 + a_2x_2^2 +..+ a_nx_n^2 ##.
I cannot see how my algebra is isomorphic to ## \mathbb{H}##. Enlightment please.

Last edited:
Stephen Tashi said:
We should consider how this relates to the Frobenius theorem. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frobenius_theorem_(real_division_algebras)

Yes. If the quaterniods are a real division algebra then they must be isomorphic to the quaternions. There must be a third element whose square is -1
puzzled fish said:
From what I could gather from Wikipedia, I have the feeling that Frobenius theorem hinges on definite quadratic forms of this kind : ## a_1x_1^2 + a_2x_2^2 +..+ a_nx_n^2 ##.
Now ## x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + w^2 + xw - yz ##, the squared norm I described above, is certainly positive definite but not of this kind: ## a_1x_1^2 + a_2x_2^2 +..+ a_nx_n^2 ##.
I cannot see how my algebra is isomorphic to ## \mathbb{H}##. Enlightment please.

Not sure either.

The Froebenius argument shows that the subspace of elements whose square is negative must have codimension 1 - in this case dimension 3. The argument is that the trace of the R-linear map ##x→ax## is zero if and only if ##a^2## is negative - that is: the subspace of elements whose square is negative is the kernel of a linear map into the reals.

This suffices to demonstrate that the division algebra is isomorphic to the quaternions. So either the quaternioids are not a real division algebra or there is another real basis that satisfies the usual relations for the quaternions.

Last edited:
puzzled fish said:
From what I could gather from Wikipedia, I have the feeling that Frobenius theorem hinges on positive definite quadratic forms of this kind : ## a_1x_1^2 + a_2x_2^2 +..+ a_nx_n^2 ##.
I don't claim to understand the proof, but I see nothing in the proof that relies on a particular quadratic form. In particular the "##Q##" in the proof is something that can be defined without any dependence on a particular norm.

We haven't established that you have a divison algebra yet. (Pehaps a digression, but I'm curious how "fast and loose" one can be in defining algebras by defining a set of products of "generators" and then declaring that multiplication of linear combinations of such expressions shall be done by the distributive law. Does that prove the distributive law works by definition? And what properties of the products do we need in order to guarantee we are defining a finite dimensional algebra? )

Assuming, you do have a finite dimensional divison algebra, can you represent an element of it as a 4x4 matrix of real numbers? That would move the problem of determining an isomorphism into the familiar territory. We would ask if your matrix is similar (in the technical sense of "similar" matrices) to the standard 4x4 matrix representation of a quaternion.

Your norm gives some hint about this. If we want to transform ##a^2 + b^2 - ab## to ##x^2 + y^2## we can look for ways to express ##a## and ##b## as a linear combinations of ##x## and ##y##.

Stephen Tashi said:
We haven't established that you have a divison algebra yet. (Pehaps a digression, but I'm curious how "fast and loose" one can be in defining algebras by defining a set of products of "generators" and then declaring that multiplication of linear combinations of such expressions shall be done by the distributive law. Does that prove the distributive law works by definition? And what properties of the products do we need in order to guarantee we are defining a finite dimensional algebra? )

Assuming, you do have a finite dimensional divison algebra, can you represent an element of it as a 4x4 matrix of real numbers? That would move the problem of determining an isomorphism into the familiar territory. We would ask if your matrix is similar (in the technical sense of "similar" matrices) to the standard 4x4 matrix representation of a quaternion.

Your norm gives some hint about this. If we want to transform ##a^2 + b^2 - ab## to ##x^2 + y^2## we can look for ways to express ##a## and ##b## as a linear combinations of ##x## and ##y##.

No need for all this!

The substitution : ## I = \frac { i + k } { \sqrt {2} } ## , ## J = - \frac { j + k } { \sqrt {2} } ##, where i,j,k are the usual quaternion units gives the isomorphic quaternionic algebra with the above rules:

## I^2 = -1 ## , ## J^2 = -1 ## , ## K^3 = -1 ##,
## K = IJ = 1- JI ## etc., that I described.

R.I.P. Quaternionoids and many thanks to all of you!

Last edited:
Likes lavinia
[QUOTE="Stephen Tashi, post: 5745452, member: 186655" (Pehaps a digression, but I'm curious how "fast and loose" one can be in defining algebras by defining a set of products of "generators" and then declaring that multiplication of linear combinations of such expressions shall be done by the distributive law. Does that prove the distributive law works by definition? And what properties of the products do we need in order to guarantee we are defining a finite dimensional algebra? )[/QUOTE]

Here is one way to generate finite dimensional associative algebras. Given a finite group ##G## and a field ##F## the elements of ##G## can formally be taken as a basis for a finite dimensional vector space over ##F##. Vectors are all formal linear combinations ##Σf_{i}[g_{i}]## where the sum is taken over the elements of ##G## - here denoted as ##[g_{i}]##. This vector space becomes an associative algebra under the multiplication rule ##Σf_{i}[g_{i}]Σe_{j}[g_{j}]= Σf_{i}e_{j}[g_{i}g_{j}]##. Modding out by an ideal produces another associative algebra.

In the case of the quaternions the field is the reals and the group is generated by two elements ##i## and ##j## with the relations ##i^2 = j^2 = (ij)^2 = z, z^2 = 1## with ##z## not equal to the identity. Since this a group of order 8 the vector space over ##R## is 8 dimensional. Modding out by the relations [##j##] + [##jz##] = [##1##]+[##z##] = [##i##] + [##iz## ]= 0 gives the quaternions (I think).

Last edited:
lavinia said:
Here is one way to generate finite dimensional associative algebras. Given a finite group ##G## and a field ##F## the elements of ##G## can formally be taken as a basis for a finite dimensional vector space over ##F##. Vectors are all formal linear combinations ##Σf_{i}[g_{i}]## where the sum is taken over the elements of ##G## - here denoted as ##[g_{i}]##. This vector space becomes an associative algebra under the multiplication rule ##Σf_{i}[g_{i}]Σe_{j}[g_{j}]= Σf_{i}e_{j}[g_{i}g_{j}]##. Modding out by an ideal produces another associative algebra.

Yes, a group has an associated "group algebra" over the reals (or another field). It's disappointing that the group algebra of the quaternion group isn't the quaternion algebra ##\mathbb{H}##. (I'm thinking about starting a thread on the topic of "Verbal Disappointments in Mathematics". That failure would be one of them!

1. What are unknown hypercomplex numbers?

Unknown hypercomplex numbers are a type of mathematical concept that extends the idea of complex numbers. They are numbers that contain multiple imaginary units, such as i, j, and k, and are represented in the form a + bi + cj + dk. These numbers are used in various fields of mathematics and physics to solve equations and describe complex systems.

2. How are unknown hypercomplex numbers different from complex numbers?

Unknown hypercomplex numbers are different from complex numbers because they contain more than one imaginary unit. Complex numbers only contain one imaginary unit, i, which represents the square root of -1. In contrast, unknown hypercomplex numbers contain multiple imaginary units, such as i, j, and k, which represent different dimensions. This allows for more complex calculations and descriptions of systems.

3. What is the significance of unknown hypercomplex numbers in mathematics?

Unknown hypercomplex numbers are significant in mathematics because they provide a way to describe and solve complex systems that cannot be explained with traditional real numbers. They are used in fields such as geometry, physics, and engineering to describe and analyze complex phenomena. They also have applications in computer graphics and cryptography.

4. Can unknown hypercomplex numbers be visualized?

Yes, unknown hypercomplex numbers can be visualized using the concept of a hypercomplex plane. This is a geometric representation of the numbers, similar to how the complex plane represents complex numbers. In a hypercomplex plane, each dimension is represented by a different axis, allowing for a visual representation of the number's multiple imaginary units.

5. How are unknown hypercomplex numbers used in physics?

Unknown hypercomplex numbers are used in physics to describe and analyze systems that involve multiple dimensions and complex interactions. They are used in fields such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and electromagnetism to solve equations and describe physical phenomena. In particular, they are useful in describing higher-dimensional spaces and objects, which are often encountered in advanced physics theories.