Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unknown in discrete variable problem

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1
    Let X be a random variable with probability function:
    [itex]fx(x) = c/x!, x = 0, 1, 2, ...[/itex]

Find c.

By first guess was to form the sum:
    [itex]\sum_{i=0}^{x} c/i! = 1[/itex]
    But I have no idea if that's the right approach or how to proceed.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2005 #2
    Probably you have to normalize the probability function, in other words the total probability should be 1:

[tex] \sum_{x=0}^{\infty} f(x) = 1 [/tex]

This is easy because:

[tex] \sum_{x=0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x!} = e [/tex]

4. Mar 6, 2005 #3
    ahhh!
    stupid me wasn't aware of that result, thanks heaps for that.

thanks, [itex] c = 1/e[/itex] for anyone whos interested. I was able to complete the other problems relating to this question.

however I have one small problem, in my studies i've learnt "a random variable X will be defined to be discrete if the range of X is countable" - introduction to theory of statistics (mood). but since the values of X was unbounded in the question (X = 0, 1, 2, ...) i.e: [itex]Z+[/itex] that is uncountable. ?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2005
  5. Mar 8, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Does countable mean finite or countably infinite? It almost surely means countably infinite. The nonnegative integers are easily seen to be countable:
    {1, 2, 3, ...}
    {0, 1, 2, ...}
    I can't read your original question, so if you meant something else by "unbounded", sorry, but the nonnegative integers are bounded below by 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?