Identifying Unknown Maths Symbol

• Thread starter nobahar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbol
In summary, the conversation is about trying to identify a symbol that looks like the Hebrew letter 'peh', but rotated around the y-axis, or perhaps like a fancy 'G'. Suggestions are made that it could be the symbol \Phi or \Psi or \mathfrak{G}, but it is eventually identified as the Hebrew letter 'peh' itself. It is mentioned that this symbol is not used in mathematics, but it may have something to do with a lie group. The conversation ends with a request for a link to see the symbol in context.
nobahar
Hello!
I was hoping someone could identify a symbol for me.
It looks like the Hebrew letter 'peh', but rotated 'around the y-axis' (I don't know how else to describe its rotation!); or perhaps like a 'fancy' G.
Does anyone know what the symbol could be?
Many thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]\Phi[/tex], perhaps?

or:
[tex]\Psi[/tex]?

[tex]\mathfrak{G}[/tex]?

My Hebrew isn't very good, I'm not even circumcised.
So perhaps CRGreathouse's suggestion is closer to the mark than mine.
Anyway, this should be an image of "peh":
http://www.bje.org.au/learning/hebrew/alphabet/17peh.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the responses.
I'm familiar with the Hebrew alphabet, and I know that 'Aleph' is used in mathematics. I am also somewhat familiar with the Grrek alphabet, and I'm sure it wasn't a Greek letter. It looked like 'Peh', and so that's why I made a guess that it might be that letter. Since it doesn't seem to be used in mathematics, I think CRGreathouse's sugegstion might be it. What is that notation for?

Thought I'd bump this thread in case someone missed an opportunity to reply. Anyone know the symbol?
I think it is something to do with a lie group, as I found through wiki. Does it denote anyhting else?

Last edited:
Give a link so we can see what you are talking about. Otherwise you are asking us for the mind-reading symbol.

Code:
[font="courier new"]
 xxx   xxxx     xxxxx xxxxx x   x xxxxx x xxxxx x   x    x xxxxx
x   x  x   x      x   x      x x    x   x x      x x     x   x
x   x  xxxx       x   xxx     x     x   x xxx     x      x   x
x   x  x x        x   x      x x    x   x x       x      x   x
 xxx   x  x       x   xxxxx x   x   x   x x       x      x   x[/font]

Attachments

• sketch.gif
    sketch.gif
    2.4 KB · Views: 443
Dave, that post was amusing.
I have already identified that the symbol I am talking about is the symbol CRGreathouse posted.

CRGreathouse said:
[tex]\mathfrak{G}[/tex]?
This one? That's a German "Fraktur" letter, basically a "G".

1. What is the process for identifying an unknown math symbol?

The process for identifying an unknown math symbol involves first examining the symbol's shape, size, and any other distinguishing features. Then, research can be done to compare the symbol to known math symbols and their meanings. If necessary, consulting with other mathematicians or using specialized software may also be helpful.

2. What resources are available for identifying unknown math symbols?

There are several resources available for identifying unknown math symbols, including math symbol dictionaries, online databases, and math forums where experts can assist in identifying symbols. Additionally, there are software programs specifically designed for identifying and translating mathematical symbols.

3. How can I differentiate between similar-looking math symbols?

To differentiate between similar-looking math symbols, it is important to carefully examine the shape and any other distinguishing features of the symbol. Additionally, researching the context in which the symbol is being used can also provide clues to its meaning. Consulting with other mathematicians can also help in distinguishing between similar symbols.

4. Are there any common mistakes when identifying unknown math symbols?

One common mistake when identifying unknown math symbols is assuming that a symbol has only one specific meaning. In reality, many symbols may have different meanings or interpretations depending on the context in which they are used. Another mistake is misinterpreting the symbol's shape or features, which can lead to incorrect identification.

5. Are there any tips for remembering the meanings of different math symbols?

One tip for remembering the meanings of different math symbols is to create a reference sheet or flashcards with the symbol and its corresponding meaning. Another helpful tip is to practice using the symbols in equations and problems, as repetition can aid in retention. Additionally, understanding the logic behind the symbols and their functions can also make it easier to remember their meanings.