Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unknown metal determination

1. Feb 10, 2004 #1
    Nevermind, I found my mistake..

I've been trying to figure this problem out for some time now, and I can't seem to get it right:

You are given an unknown hydrated metal salt containing bromide ion, [tex]MBr_2 \bullet nH_2O[/tex] (M and n being variables).

You dissolve 0.500g of this salt in water and add excess silver nitrate solution, [tex]AgNO_3[/tex], to precipitate the bromide ion as insoluble silver bromide, [tex]AgBr[/tex]. After filtering, washing, drying, and weighing, the [tex]AgBr[/tex] is found to weigh .609g. What is the weight percent bromide in this metal salt?

I tried doing the following:

.609g AgBr / 187.77amu AgBr = .003 mol Br
    (.003 mol)(79.90 amu Br) = .240g Br
    .240 g / .500 g =

And got:

48.0% [tex]Br[/tex]

The question goes on to say:

A second 0.500g sample is dehydrated to remove water of hydration. After drying, the sample is found to weigh 0.325g. What is the weight percent in the metal salt?

I did the following:

(.500g - .325g) / .500 g =

And got:

35.0% [tex]H_2O[/tex]

And then it says:

The metal cation has a valence of two. What is the atomic weight of the metal? What is the identity of the metal?

I did this:

17% Metal

Mole ratio of M to Br is 1:2 so:

moles M = x
    (.003 mol Br)

2x = .003
    x = .002 moles M

AW Metal = x

.002 mol M = 17g / x
    .002x = 17
    x = 8500

See there is where it all blows up in my face. Came up with an atomic weight for the metal of 8500. Can someone tell me where I went wrong?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2004
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted