Unknown Simple RCL Circuit Analysis - DC and AC Results

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Evales
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary: Your Name]In summary, it appears that Circuit A is likely a combination of a resistor and a parallel capacitor and inductor, while Circuit B is possibly a combination of a capacitor and a resistor in series. To confirm this, more information or experiments may be needed, such as measuring the impedance at different frequencies.
Evales
Hi,

I'm trying to determine a simple RCL circuit from the output at the terminals. I have two unknown circuits and I'd just like to get a confirmation about if I'm heading in the right direction with this.

The circuit can only be a combination of a single resistor and/or a single capacitor and/or a single inductor.

Unfortunately the results are incomplete as well, so I've given my knowledge about the circuits where this is the case.

Circuit A:
DC Results: 10V DC input, results measured over terminals of unknown circuit.
2.4Ω
4.2 mA
9.61V

AC Results: Voltage source varies
@ 4.96kHz with 9.2V input
Voltage source and voltage over terminal are in phase.
Voltage over terminal: 172mV

@ 5.476kHz with 9V input
Phase difference: 9.2μs No information about leading peak
Voltage over terminal: 256mV

@ 4.505kHz with 9V input
Phase difference: 14μs No information about leading peak
Voltage over terminal: UNKNOWN

[STRIKE]This circuit is likely to either be a resistor in series with a parallel capacitor and inductor.
[/STRIKE]
URfyE.png

EDIT:
I am now fairly certain that Circuit A is instead in this configuration:
zvVXd.png

Due to the relationship between V and R, which is inversely proportional with the new circuit config and more linear for the one above it. When looking at the DC results you can see that the resistance is high, however the voltages for the AC analysis is low.
Can anyone confirm this logic for me?
Circuit B:
DC Results: 10V source, results measured over terminals of unknown circuit.
0V
∴ Circuit has a capacitor in series.AC Results: Voltage source varies
@ 33Hz with 4.72V input
Phase difference: Source(7.720ms) - Unknown circuit(2.12ms) = 5.6ms
Voltage at terminals: 17.6mV

@ 714.3Hz
In Phase

@ 51.89Hz
Phase difference:Unknown circuit(4.90ms) - Source(2.08ms) = 2.9ms
Voltage at terminals: 46.8mV

B conclusions:
- Not purely reactive, energy is dissipated.
- In phase @ >714.3Hz
- Source is the leading phase for 33Hz
- Unknown circuit has leading phase for 51.89Hz
∴ Circuit could be one of the two:
g1BRR.png

wsCDv.png

Does anyone have any idea how I would discern from these which was the circuit? Or if I would need more information to be able to proceed?

Thanks,
Evales

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Evales,

Thank you for your question. Based on the information provided, it seems like you are on the right track with your analysis of Circuit A. It is likely a combination of a resistor and a parallel capacitor and inductor. This can be confirmed by using the relationship between voltage and resistance, which is inversely proportional for this configuration.

As for Circuit B, it is possible that it is a combination of a capacitor and a resistor in series. This is supported by the fact that it is not purely reactive and energy is being dissipated. Additionally, the phase difference between the source and unknown circuit changes depending on the frequency, which is characteristic of a capacitor and resistor in series.

To determine which circuit it is, you may need to gather more information or perform additional experiments. One suggestion would be to measure the impedance of the circuit at different frequencies and compare it to the theoretical values for a resistor and a capacitor in series. This can help confirm your hypothesis.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your analysis!

1. What is an unknown simple RCL circuit?

An unknown simple RCL (Resistor-Capacitor-Inductor) circuit refers to an electric circuit that contains a combination of a resistor, capacitor, and inductor, but the values of these components are not known. It is a common type of circuit used in electronics and electrical engineering.

2. How does an unknown simple RCL circuit work?

An unknown simple RCL circuit works by creating a loop for the flow of electric current, with the resistor regulating the flow, the capacitor storing the energy, and the inductor generating a magnetic field. The exact behavior of the circuit depends on the values of the components and the frequency of the input signal.

3. What are the applications of an unknown simple RCL circuit?

An unknown simple RCL circuit has various applications in electronic devices, such as filters, oscillators, and amplifiers. It is also used in power supplies, radio receivers, and signal generators.

4. How is an unknown simple RCL circuit different from a known RCL circuit?

The main difference between an unknown simple RCL circuit and a known RCL circuit is that the values of the components (resistor, capacitor, and inductor) are known in a known RCL circuit, whereas they are not known in an unknown simple RCL circuit. This makes it more challenging to analyze and predict the behavior of the circuit.

5. How can the values of the components in an unknown simple RCL circuit be determined?

The values of the components in an unknown simple RCL circuit can be determined by performing measurements and calculations using specialized equipment, such as multimeters and oscilloscopes. These values can also be estimated by analyzing the circuit's behavior and response to different input signals.