Unknown thermochemical properties help please

• Thread starter Mercaptan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Properties
In summary, the conversation is about a chemist/geologist seeking help with decoding an old excel model of an iron ore plant. The model was created in the 90s and lacks formulae and explanations. The chemist/geologist has successfully worked out most of the model, but is looking for assistance with filling in missing constants for various oxides and elements. The conversation includes a discussion about a particular equation used in the model, which is suspected to be an integrated form of the heat capacity equation. The conversation also touches on the units of the constants used in the equation and the need to benchmark against another representation to verify the units.
Mercaptan
Hi all,
I've joined this forum as a last resort seeing no one else here knows (well, before maybe joining other forums?). I've been handed an old model of the iron ore plant I work at which was made in the 90s in excel (the model was made then, not the plant!). The metallurgist at the time was apparently secretive and didn't like to pass down information, so he's left out all formulae and explanations on what's what. I'm trying to bring it up to 2015 and make it useful again, and I've got most of it worked out, but I'm a chemist/geologist by trade. I was wondering if anyone's be able to help me?

I've attached the screenshot for the page on CaO, but there's a table for every oxide and gas that goes through the plant. I know the first column is std enthalpy, second is entropy, the last number is molecular weight, 3rd and 2nd last columns are T1 and T2. The rest was labelled a,b,c,d. These don't correspond to a Shomate equation either, and I think they're in kJ/mol. "s" and "l" are solid and liquid.

Anyway, have a go, see if you can decode it for me.

Peace,
Mercaptan

Attachments

• CaO.PNG
    CaO.PNG
    29.6 KB · Views: 578
Engineering news on Phys.org
Maybe they are constants in another heat capacity equation than that of Shomate. Try just a power series, and plot it up over each of the ranges. See if they join up at the transition points.

Chet

Thanks Chet, I'll give it a go and get back to you.

I've figured out the equation in which they are used in. This appears a number of times in the model, and often as sums, but the base of it is this:

A(T- Tref) + (B/2000)( T2- T2) – 100000C(1/T - 1/Tref) + D-6/3(T3- Tref3)

Where T is any temperature (in one example it's the temperature of the ore feed, another example it's the different Ts, T1, T2, T3...),
Tref is the reference temperature the whole model is based on,
A,B,C and D are the constants.

Since writing the OP I've found that not all oxides and elements are carried through from start to finish, so I need to add them in at various stages in the model. This means I'll need the constants for the missing ones.

Does this look familiar to anyone?

Mercaptan said:
I've figured out the equation in which they are used in. This appears a number of times in the model, and often as sums, but the base of it is this:

Where T is any temperature (in one example it's the temperature of the ore feed, another example it's the different Ts, T1, T2, T3...),

Since writing the OP I've found that not all oxides and elements are carried through from start to finish, so I need to add them in at various stages in the model. This means I'll need the constants for the missing ones.

These look like expressions for the integral of CpdT using an analytical expression for the heat capacity at constant P.

Thanks Quantum Defect. Coming from an analytical chem and Earth science background, my maths knowledge is very limited. Excuse the ignorance, what is CpdT? A derivative of Cp wrt temperature?

Mercaptan said:

If looks pretty clear that this is an integrated form of the heat capacity equation to get the enthalpy. Oops. I see that QD has also noticed this. One indicator is that the leading term is linear in T. Another indication is the factor of 3 in the denominator of the D term (incidentally, those should be 1/T3's, not a temperature difference cubed). So, the actual heat capacity is:

A + (B/1000)T+100000C/T2 -D-6?/T4

That's obviously absolute temperature in the equation.

We need to see of we can find this functional form in a book somewhere, or in NIST.

I found the following in a description of heat capacity equations: Cp = a + bT + c / T2 + ……………

Chet

In your equation, you don't know the units of the heat capacity. You need to plot up the heat capacity vs temperature using the values in the table, and compare the graph with corresponding results from a heat capacity parameterization in the literature (for which you know the units of the parameters) to ascertain the units in your table. The two plots will be offset by a constant factor (approximately) which will enable you to ascertain the units.

Chet

They did leave me the units of the constants, J/molK.

Thanks for the actual heat capacity equation, I haven't done integration for years so I was going to wait until I got home and got the old textbook out.

Mercaptan said:
Still, just benchmark against another representation to make sure. That's what I would do.

Chet

Good idea.

Mercaptan said:

Thanks for the actual heat capacity equation, I haven't done integration for years so I was going to wait until I got home and got the old textbook out.

http://www.geol.ucsb.edu/faculty/hacker/geo124T/lecture.html

This lecture shows the integral with a similar expansion for Cp

The particular expansion differs only in the last term in the expansion from what is here (the "D" term).

I have started packing my books up for a move, but I think that the CRC Handbook has tables of coefficients for Cp in an expansion like this, they may (or may not) have the same expansion coefficients. Even if it is not exactly the same, the functional form for the dominant terms is the same, so you should have similar values for A, B, and C. You can also look in places like: the JANAF tables, J. Phys. Chem. Ref. Data, The NIST Webbook (as Chet notes), etc.

Thanks Quantum Defect. I have a few old chemistry books here handed down from the old metallurgist and other chemists if I can't find them online.

1. What are thermochemical properties?

Thermochemical properties refer to the physical and chemical characteristics of a substance, such as its heat capacity, enthalpy, and entropy, that are related to its energy and temperature.

2. Why are thermochemical properties important?

Thermochemical properties are important for understanding the behavior and reactions of substances under different temperature and pressure conditions. They are also crucial in industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy, and materials science.

3. How are thermochemical properties measured?

Thermochemical properties can be measured through various experimental techniques, such as calorimetry and thermal analysis. These methods involve measuring changes in temperature, energy, and other physical properties of a substance during a controlled reaction or process.

4. Can thermochemical properties be predicted?

Yes, thermochemical properties can be predicted using computational methods such as quantum mechanics and molecular simulations. These methods use mathematical models to calculate the energy and temperature-dependent properties of a substance.

5. How do thermochemical properties relate to thermodynamics?

Thermochemical properties are closely related to thermodynamics, which is the study of energy and its transformations. Thermodynamics helps us understand how thermochemical properties of a substance change in different conditions and how they affect the overall energy balance of a system.

Back