1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unknown variables.

1. Dec 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two chain links are connected together and are suspended by a string. The mass of the top link, link#1 is 8kg, while the mass of the second/bottom link #2 is unknown. If an applied force on the string attached to link #1 of 216N[up], and the links experience an acceleration of 2m/s^2 [up] find the mass of link #2 and the force that link#2 exerts on link1

2. Relevant equations

The only thing I know is that the mass is equal to the mass of both of the chains put together, so the mass is greater than 8kg.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm not sure what equations I would have to use

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2009 #2
    F=ma=sum of all forces. Force 1 is upwards=216. Force downwards is due to gravity.

To start, consider a tota mass which is equal to m1 + m2 =M m1=8, m2=?

2*M=(216-Mg) Can you get m2?

4. Dec 6, 2009 #3
    if we were to sub all of our knows into the equation 2 x M= (216-mg) we would get

2 x M= (216 - m x 10)

but then where would we go from there

5. Dec 6, 2009 #4
    Well this (M) is the total mass. So subtract m1 and you have the unknown mass. Then if you do a Free body diagram, the force that link 2 exerts on link 1 is easily obtained--it is just the weight of link 2 (note weight is not same as mass)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook