Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unofficial PF Gathering in Chicago?

1. Oct 12, 2005 #1

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

OK, so this is way, way too early to consider such things, but considering that I've already made plans for my vacation for June 2006, it isn't that early at all! :)

Is there any interest in having some sort of a gathering of PF members possibly some time this coming December in Chicago? (I know... Chicago? In december? Are you nuts?!) I thought maybe people might venture into the Windy City for a short visit or to go holliday shopping, etc. If there is, I can try to plan on meeting up at a nice restaurant somewhere. It would be right smack in the middle of the holiday festivities and I can't think of a better time to meet with the people you might have read about (or yell at) on PF.

I'm thinking of maybe some time around mid December, but the date here can be quite flexible depending on who can attend. So if you are in the Chicagoland area, or might plan on being in the area around that time, if you're interested in attending, please let me know either by posting here, or via PM. Hopefully we can come up with an arrangement that is suitable to everyone interested. In fact, if Greg is still in Milwaukee, he might want to venture a few miles south to join us! :)

Zz.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I vote for Chicago in the summer! :biggrin: Seriously, I'm booked...if I'm going to join you in Disney in January, I'm only going to take a short trip to NJ for Christmas.

4. Oct 12, 2005 #3
    Since I live in Milwaukee, I'd meet up in Chicago for sure. :approve:

5. Oct 12, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This will work for me too ! In december though, umm, I'll be busy.

6. Oct 12, 2005 #5
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  7. Oct 12, 2005 #6

Lisa!

Gold Member

Move this thread to feedback and announcement, please! All members don't check GD threads. :wink:

PS You should post some pictures of your meeting. :tongue2:

8. Oct 12, 2005 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Folks, there's nothing to say that we can't ALSO have a gathering in the Summer months. I am very much open for that also. However, if there's anyone who can or would like to do this during December of this year, let's plan on it. It can be as small as a handfull of people, or as large as I-need-to-reserve-a-banquet-hall. If the number is small, I might even invite those who show up to come back to my place afterwards for coffee/desserts (I'll make my often-requested flan), and you can see for yourself the "Disney artifacts". :)

And I would consider the January Disney World trip as another unofficial PF gathering, even though so far, there will probably be only be 3 PF members meeting up. Everyone is more than welcome to join us. It WILL be fun! :)

Zz.

9. Oct 12, 2005 #8

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

How about San Francisco?

10. Oct 12, 2005 #9
    Its cheap for me to fly to SF that Chicago. Work that out! only £336.50

11. Oct 12, 2005 #10

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am from the 'burbs of Chicago, and I will be home for Christmas.

12. Oct 12, 2005 #11

Mk

Burbs! They sounds scary... :eek:

13. Oct 13, 2005 #12

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Do you have an approximate date when you will be back home, Tom?

Zz.

14. Oct 13, 2005 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I might be able to make it. Maybe. Darn job. :grumpy:

15. Oct 13, 2005 #14

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not yet. I always stay in New York until the Sunday before Christmas, because I have a big holiday party at my apartment every year. Once I get that straightened out then I'll know my arrival date. But I always head back to New York on the same date: 12/30. That's so I can kick it up with my friends (again!) on NYE.

16. Oct 13, 2005 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Christmas IS a Sunday.

I wish Zz had sent out the invitation before I accepted my friend's invitation for Christmas in NJ (I jumped at the invitation because it meant staying with a friend instead of my sister and her noisy dogs and filthy house).

17. Oct 14, 2005 #16

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

OK, then maybe the period between Christmas and New Year's eve might be the best date? I will be in Iowa for Christmas, but should be back in town by the 27th or so - after all, I need to get ready to fly off to Disney World on the 1st. :) It will be rather busy around the city, though, so we may need a bit of an advance reservation to get into many eating establishments.

Again, as far as I'm concerned, the date is rather flexible for me. If anyone has any other prefered date, just let me know.

Zz.

18. Oct 14, 2005 #17

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Right, that's why I haven't figured out my departure date yet. :wink:

I know for certain that I'll be in IL from the 24th till the 30th, so any time in there would be cool for me.

19. Oct 14, 2005 #18

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

BTW, Tom, which 'burbs is your home? I should have asked you this, but if you are ever back home again during the "regular" part of the year, you're more than welcome to come visit me at Argonne and get a tour of all my "toys". :) Just give me a couple of week's notice.

Zz.

20. Oct 14, 2005 #19

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He'd like you to think that's so he can clear his schedule and arrange a tour, but it's really just so he has time to polish the Disney memorabilia.

21. Oct 14, 2005 #20

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

DRAT!

Did the people I work with rattled on me?!

:)

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?