1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unorthodox Conversions

1. Sep 15, 2008 #1
    Ok, i know how to convert to and from the metric system and how to convert within, but what exactly am i supposed to do with this. Notice im not asking for it solved, but guidance on how to solve, bc this seems like a really stupid way for us to have to convert with extra steps added and mixed in. Also there is not much to work out by hand i believe other than writing and cancelling out. thank you. also i believe number seven is A
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2008 #2
    Suppose you were stranded on a desert island and didn't have a table of conversion factors, and suppose also that you'd had a coconut fall from a tree and lost your memory of all but the most basic conversion factors. Using your remaing knowledge of simple unit ratios (12 inches / 1 ft, for example), you could write one of the expressions in #7 to convert m/s to mi/h.

To start with mi/h and end with m/s, one must write a series of simple unit ratios, one of which has mi in the denominator (so as to 'cancel' mi from the final expression) and another of which that has m in the numerator (so we end up with m/s). The only answer to #7 that could be correct (can't see all of it) is answer e; its the only one that has a unit ratio with m in the numerator of one of the factors.

This is just an exercise in writing and simplifying unit ratios, aka unit fractions.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?