Unpolarzied light question fast

• Thread starter torrie110
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the question involves polarized light passing through a sheet of polarizing material and then a second sheet. The intensity of the light passing through the first sheet is 89.0% and no light passes through the second sheet. The question asks for the angle of the transmission axis of the second sheet when the first sheet is turned counterclockwise from its maximal light intensity position. The equation used is S = Socos^2 theta. The suggested answer is 19.27, but the website is showing it as incorrect and requesting help with the solution.
torrie110
polarzied light on polarizing material question need help fast

Homework Statement

Light that is polarized along the vertical direction is incident on a sheet of polarizing material. Only 89.0% of the intensity of the light passes through the sheet and strikes a second sheet of polarizing material. No light passes through the second sheet. Suppose the first polarizer was turned counterclockwise from the maximal light intensity position. What angle does the transmission axis of the second sheet make with the vertical?

Homework Equations

S = Socos^2 theta

The Attempt at a Solution

i got an answer of 19.27 but the website that i submit my answers too tells me i am wrong someone please help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi torrie110! :wink:

Show us how you got 19.27, and then we can see where the mistake is and know how to help! :smile:

1. What is unpolarized light?

Unpolarized light is a type of light that has random oscillations in all directions perpendicular to its propagation. This means that the electric field of the light wave can vibrate in any direction within a plane perpendicular to the direction it is traveling.

2. How is unpolarized light different from polarized light?

Polarized light has its electric field vibrating in a specific direction, while unpolarized light has its electric field vibrating in all directions within a plane perpendicular to its propagation. This means that polarized light has a specific direction of oscillation, while unpolarized light does not.

3. How is unpolarized light produced?

Unpolarized light is typically produced by natural sources such as the sun or incandescent light bulbs. It can also be produced by passing polarized light through a polarizing filter, which scrambles the direction of the light's electric field.

4. What are some common uses of unpolarized light?

Unpolarized light is commonly used in everyday lighting, photography, and displays. It is also used in scientific experiments and research, as well as in communication and data transmission technologies.

5. Can unpolarized light be polarized?

Yes, unpolarized light can be polarized by passing it through a polarizing filter, which blocks certain directions of the light's electric field and allows only specific directions to pass through. This process is called polarization and is commonly used in optics and polarized sunglasses.