Calculating EMF Induced by a Moving Wire in a Magnetic Field

• Thread starter Sir_Pogo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coil Emf
In summary, a physicist is trying to find the magnitude of the EMF induced in a copper wire when it is pulled at a velocity of 78 cm/s, while wrapped around a toilet paper roll in a uniform magnetic field of 0.1 T. The equation for induced EMF is related to the flux through a coil of N turns, but in this problem, B and A are constant and N is changing. The equation can be written as ε = -BA[dN/dt], and the physicist needs to determine how N is related to the pulling velocity.
Sir_Pogo
Can i get some help with this homework problem??
A physicist wraps a long copper wire around a toilet paper roll and places the roll in a uniform magnetic field. The axis of the roll is aligned with the field. The radius of the roll is r = 6 cm and the strength of the field is B = 0.1 T. If the physicist pulls the wire at v = 78 cm/s, what is the magnitude of the EMF induced in the wire?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the equation for induced emf related to the flux through a coil of N turns. What is changing when the wire is being pulled? The wire is unwinding from the roll.

im using dBda/dt and da/ta= .5*r*ds/dt where ds/ts is the velocity
im taking that time the magnetic field.
also i am watchin my units.
so B*.5*r*v=emf? what's wrong its not right tho?

Sir_Pogo said:
im using dBda/dt and da/ta= .5*r*ds/dt where ds/ts is the velocity
im taking that time the magnetic field.
also i am watchin my units.
so B*.5*r*v=emf? what's wrong its not right tho?
I don't understand your first equation. Is d the diameter in one place and derivative in another? I think you need to be a bit creative with this one. Usually we take N to be a constant and write

ε = -N[dΦ/dt] = -N[d(BA)/dt]

But in this problem, B and A are constant and effectively N is changing, so

ε = -[d(NAB)/dt)] = = -BA[dN/dt]

How is N related to v?

1. What is a coil and how does it work?

A coil is a type of electrical conductor that is wound into a spiral shape. When an electrical current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field can be used to generate or amplify an electromagnetic force (EMF).

2. What is the relationship between a coil and EMF?

A coil and EMF are closely related because a coil is able to generate or amplify an EMF. As mentioned earlier, when an electrical current flows through a coil, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field can then interact with other conductors or magnets to produce an EMF.

3. How does an EMF affect the coil?

An EMF can affect a coil in several ways. It can induce a current in the coil, causing it to become an electromagnet. This can also create a force on the coil, causing it to move or rotate. Additionally, an EMF can also create a voltage across the coil, which can be used to power other electronic components.

4. What is the significance of unravelling a coil?

Unravelling a coil allows us to study the individual components and properties of the coil, such as the number of turns and the material used. This can provide valuable insights into how the coil functions and how we can improve its performance for specific applications.

5. How is the concept of EMF and coils used in practical applications?

The concept of EMF and coils is used in a wide range of practical applications, including generators, transformers, motors, and antennas. These devices use the interaction between an EMF and a coil to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy, amplify or transform voltages, and transmit or receive electromagnetic signals.