1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unrelated areas of study

1. Jun 22, 2015 #1
    Hello all,

I was hoping some of you who have taken or are currently taking courses in an area unrelated to your major would share something about the experience:

What are the two subjects, and why did you choose to pursue formal education in the second area of study? Did you take only a few courses, or did you take enough courses to obtain a minor or even a second major? Was it fulfilling to learn more about this subject? Did it detract from your primary education?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2015 #2
    I took several classes that ended up being somewhat unrelated to my major after switching from engineering to physics. However, I did take 1 course completely unrelated to my major/research interests on purpose, in the final semester of my senior year. I majored in physics, but I decided to take an ornithology class (the study of birds) from the biology department simply because I love birds and wanted to learn more about them. A very good friend of mine was also TAing the class and helped convince me to do it. Although I took several biology courses, I didn't take enough to actually minor in biology.

I chose to major in physics in hopes of doing a PhD in geophysics and becoming a seismologist which I still plan on doing. Although I really enjoy birds, watching them is really more of a hobby for me, so I don't necessarily want to devote my career to birds. Birds are everywhere - I can just go on a walk and see all kinds of birds, no matter where I am... On the other hand, Seismology requires very expensive equipment and lots of computing power to do something interesting. Also seismology research is just so much fun and fascinating.

Needless to say, I really enjoyed the ornithology class, and yes it was very fulfilling. It did not detract me from my primary education, although I was worried what geophysics PhD admissions committees would think of that class. I got accepted everywhere I applied, so they didn't seem to care too much :smile:. It was actually a nice break from the typical grind of my math and physics classes. We had 2 labs a week each for 3 hours and it was basically just hiking through the woods identifying birds... very fun and relaxing! I was taking a graduate seismology course at the same time and it was nice to have an easier class in the mix.

I would take ornithology again in a heartbeat. Hope this helps.

4. Jun 22, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I was wanting. I'm not necessarily looking for guidance; although, I am considering pursuing a minor unrelated to my major. I thought a discussion of broad and varied interests would be very enjoyable, and I thought it may beneficial for students considering such a route.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook