"Unscented" deodorant?

• Thread starter sp3sp2sp
  • Start date
Isnt the whole point of deoderont to add some sort of fragrance? I can understand unscented antiperpirant, what is the point of unscented deoderont? I am referring to trader joes Toms of Maine long lasting deoderont. It says "unscented".. What is the point? I can confirm after sniffing it that it doesnt really smell like anything, but then is is still deoderont?

Answers and Replies

Borek
Mentor
deoderont
No such thing.

antiperpirant
No such thing either.

Can you try to define what does "deodorant" mean?

Deodorants work primarily by way of anti-bacterial chemical effects. Some deodorants have additional antimicrobial and anti-fungal ingredients. Perspiration, in and of itself, has no real smell. Body odor, generally speaking, comes from little nasty thingies that grow and live and excrete in the warm sweaty regions. (This explanation is excessively general and simplified, FWIW). The goal of most deodorants is to chemically prevent or counter the activity that generates body odor. The added fragrance is just a bit of 'window dressing'.

for a further (but also highly general) overview:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deodorant

diogenesNY

Likes collinsmark
CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
As i recall some types of air freshener contains chemicals that reduce your sense of smell. I don't know if they can put the same thing in deodorant.

phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Deodorants work primarily by way of anti-bacterial chemical effects. Some deodorants have additional antimicrobial and anti-fungal ingredients. Perspiration, in and of itself, has no real smell. Body odor, generally speaking, comes from little nasty thingies that grow and live and excrete in the warm sweaty regions. (This explanation is excessively general and simplified, FWIW). The goal of most deodorants is to chemically prevent or counter the activity that generates body odor. The added fragrance is just a bit of 'window dressing'.
Exactly.