Solve x in Unsolvable Equation: d/(1-COS(L/(2*x)))

• Thread starter creeve4
  • Start date
In summary, an unsolvable equation is one that cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods and does not have a solution. The equation d/(1-COS(L/(2*x))) is an example of an unsolvable equation. This is because it contains a variable in the denominator, making it impossible to isolate the variable and find a specific value for it. Alternative methods for solving unsolvable equations include numerical approximation and advanced mathematical techniques like calculus or differential equations. However, these methods may only provide an approximate answer and may not give an exact solution. Computers are also able to solve unsolvable equations using numerical methods, but they may also have limitations and may not be able to provide an exact solution.
creeve4
Solve for x:

x=d/(1-COS(L/(2*x)))

where L=28 and d=0.2

I have been able to get x~490 by "guessing" values for x and computing, then repeating until both sides are equal.

There must be a better way, although neither my TI-89 nor Mathematica are able to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's unsolvable by algebraic methods. The best you can do is to use numerical techniques to get approximate values.

When I solve this numerically with Maple I get x = 1.0618829.

1. What is an unsolvable equation?

An unsolvable equation is an equation that does not have a solution or cannot be solved using traditional algebraic methods.

2. Can the equation d/(1-COS(L/(2*x))) be solved?

No, this equation is unsolvable.

3. Why is this equation unsolvable?

This equation is unsolvable because it contains a variable in the denominator, which makes it impossible to isolate the variable and find a specific value for it.

4. Are there any alternative methods for solving unsolvable equations?

Yes, there are alternative methods such as numerical approximation or using advanced mathematical techniques like calculus or differential equations. However, these methods may not provide an exact solution and may only give an approximate answer.

5. Can a computer solve unsolvable equations?

Yes, computers are able to use numerical methods to approximate solutions for unsolvable equations. However, they may also encounter limitations and may not be able to give an exact solution.