Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unstable Lithium Isotope

1. Oct 23, 2004 #1
    I seem to be stuck on this problem. I thought calculating the velocity of the center of mass of the system would get me somewhere, but I remain confused about where to go next. Here is the problem:
    The light isotope, 5^Li is unstable and breaks up spontaneously into a proton (hydrogen nucleus) and an alpha particle(helium nucleus). In this process, a total energy of 2.70E-13 J is released, appearing as the kinetic energy of the two reaction products. Determine the speeds of the proton and the alpha particle that arise from the decay of a 5^Li nucleus at rest. (Note: the two masses of the proton and alpha particle are m(proton)=1.67E-27 kg and m(alpha particle) = 4m(proton) = 6.68E-27kg).
    The answer may be more simpler than I am realizing.....or way more difficult. Any assitance on this problem would be GREATLY appreciated. THANKS!
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2004 #2
    I think what you're missing is conservation of momentum. The momentum of the system before the decay must be the same as after the decay. I think this, along with the fact that you are given the amount of energy released will allow you to calculate the speeds of the reaction products.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?