1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unstable N-16

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    Can anyone help me to understand the function of nitrogen in PWR.

What I know about unstable N-16 is that it is used as an indication of power PWR. How fast does it achieve an equilibrium activity?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2007 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The half-life of N-16 (which is produced by an n,p reaction of O-16) is 7.16 s, so equilibrium is achieved rapidly - in about 1 minute. But then it also decays quite rapidly, so a detector must be close to the core. It's activity would be a function of the fast flux, which itself is related to the rate of fission or power.

N-16 is a matter for BWRs, which use hydrogen (reducing) water chemistry, since N-16 is carried through the main steam line to the turbine. PWRs use a slightly reducing water chemistry to prevent crud transport, although the pH these days tends to be 6.9 - 7.4 depending on the plant.

Reference:
    http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/reCenter.jsp?z=7&n=9 (then use zoom 1 in upper right corner)

4. Oct 25, 2007 #3
    Thnx 4 yo speedy & what I find as an accurate answer to the question. Many more thanx for providing the link. Cheers!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?