Unsteady state problem - draining from a tank

In summary, an unsteady state problem refers to a constantly changing system, making it challenging to predict its behavior. Draining from a tank is an example of this, as the fluid levels and flow rates are constantly changing. Factors such as initial volume, drainage rate, and external forces can affect the problem. However, it can be solved using mathematical models and equations. Real-world applications include predicting chemical reactions, analyzing water flow, and understanding fuel consumption.
_Greg_

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=24975&stc=1&d=1270737086.jpg

The flowrate leaving the tank is regulated by a partially open valve, You may assume that the pressure drop in the exit pipe system is across the valve itself.

The cross sectional area is 1m2. At steady state, the water level inside the tank is measured to be 1m for a feed stream flowrate of 0.5 m3/min.
Since the water into the tank has a temperature of 20*C, then the temperature out is also 20*C (assuming no heat losses)

Develop a MathCAD solution to find how the level and temperature changes when the flow and temperature of the feed stream changes

Question What equation do I need for this?

I have one for the liquid level but don't know how to combine it with temperature, some sort of energy balance.

Homework Equations

I have this, describing the liquid level in the tank

dh/dt = 1/A (F1+F2-k(sqrt h))

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't do it :frown:, all I could get is the above equation

Attachments

• problem.JPG
    problem.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 604
Physics news on Phys.org
. Any help would be appreciated.
To solve this problem, we can use the energy balance equation for the tank. This equation takes into account the changes in both liquid level and temperature.

The energy balance equation for the tank is as follows:

dE/dt = m_in * (h_in - h_out) - W + Q

Where:
- dE/dt is the rate of change of energy in the tank
- m_in is the mass flow rate of the feed stream
- h_in and h_out are the enthalpies of the feed stream and the outflow, respectively
- W is the work done by the valve (which is equal to the pressure drop times the flow rate)
- Q is the heat transfer rate (assuming no heat losses, this term will be zero)

We can rearrange this equation to solve for the outflow enthalpy (h_out):

h_out = h_in - (dE/dt + W)/m_in

Now, we can substitute this equation into the continuity equation you mentioned in your post:

dh/dt = 1/A (F1+F2-k(sqrt h))

Where:
- dh/dt is the rate of change of liquid level
- A is the cross sectional area of the tank
- F1 is the inflow rate (equal to m_in)
- F2 is the outflow rate (equal to m_out)
- k is the valve constant (which depends on the valve opening)

By combining these two equations, we can solve for the changes in liquid level and temperature as the feed stream flow rate and temperature change. You can use MathCAD to solve this system of equations and plot the results.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is an unsteady state problem?

An unsteady state problem refers to a situation where the conditions within a system are constantly changing over time. This can make it challenging to accurately predict the behavior of the system.

2. How does draining from a tank create an unsteady state problem?

When draining from a tank, the fluid levels and flow rates within the tank are constantly changing as the liquid is being removed. This creates a constantly changing system, making it an unsteady state problem.

3. What factors can affect the unsteady state problem when draining from a tank?

The factors that can affect the unsteady state problem when draining from a tank include the initial volume of liquid in the tank, the rate at which it is being drained, and any external forces acting on the system.

4. How can the unsteady state problem be solved when draining from a tank?

The unsteady state problem can be solved by using mathematical models and equations to predict the behavior of the system. These models take into account the initial conditions and factors affecting the system to make accurate predictions.

5. What are some real-world applications of the unsteady state problem in draining from a tank?

The unsteady state problem in draining from a tank has many real-world applications, such as predicting the behavior of a chemical reaction in a mixing tank, analyzing the flow of water from a dam, and understanding the dynamics of fuel consumption in a car's gas tank.