Should variations in beaker mass be included in a chemistry lab report?

• Thread starter muhsentdrawji
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the conversation discusses what to include in a chemistry lab report. The speaker mentions using a similar beaker in four experiments and experiencing variations in its mass. However, they clarify that this did not affect their results as they weighed the beaker with the solute and leftover solute. They are unsure whether to mention this in their conclusion and ask for opinions on how to address the issue.
muhsentdrawji
This is about what to include in a chemistry lab report. I have used a similar beaker in four experiments and weirdly, the mass of the beaker was not the same during each experiment. I'm not sure whether to add it in my conclusion for my chem report. It's a minor problem in fact not a problem at all because I weighed the beaker first, with the solute and with leftover solute so I got the exact mass of solute to be used in the experiment, up to 3 d.ps.

Still, I was wondering whether to include the fact that the mass of the beaker varied inconsistently in the four experiments. It didn't affect my results, but I could say how this problem was tackled and also perhaps say that it is a clear indication of an inaccurate electronic balance?

What do you think?

Thank you!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It can be balance, it can be beaker - traces of water, traces of salts left after water dried out and so on. Quite normal.

1. What should be included in a report?

A report should include a clear and concise summary of the research topic, methodology, findings, and conclusions. It should also include any relevant data, charts, or tables to support the findings.

2. How do I organize the information in my report?

The information in a report should be organized in a logical and coherent manner. This can be achieved by following a clear structure, such as an introduction, body, and conclusion. It is also important to use headings and subheadings to break up the information into smaller sections.

3. Is it necessary to include references in a report?

Yes, it is important to include references in a report to give credit to the sources that were used in the research. This also helps to support the credibility and validity of the findings.

4. How do I ensure the accuracy of the information in my report?

To ensure the accuracy of the information in your report, it is important to use reliable and reputable sources. Conducting thorough research and fact-checking can also help to verify the information used in the report.

5. Can I include my personal opinions in a report?

In most cases, it is best to avoid including personal opinions in a report as it can compromise the objectivity and credibility of the findings. However, in some cases, such as in a research paper, you may be asked to include your own analysis and interpretation of the data.