Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unsure about these two

1. Aug 26, 2004 #1
    Hey,

Having trouble with these two problems:

1. If f(x) = ln(x)/x (3 <= x <= 10), find an expression for the area under the graph of f as a limit. Do not evaluate the limit.

My answer:
    Change in x = (10 - 3)/n = 7/n, so:

(7/n)[Sigma i = 0 to n](ln(7/n)/(7/n))

I feel like this isn't right for some reason.

2. Determine a region whose area is equal to:

lim as n->infinity of (Sigma i = 0 to n)(4pi/4n)(tan (i*pi/4n))

pi/4n is constant so that is the change in x.

Don't know how to go any further here...

And help appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2004 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

1. One obvious point- the quantity inside the sum, ln(7/n)/(7/n) is a constant, it doesn't depend on i! Think carefully about what you are doing: You have divided the interval from 3 to 10 into n intervals, each of length 7/n. If x is the left hand endpoint, then the function value there is ln(x)/x so that is what you are using as the height of the rectangle. The area of each small rectangle is (7/n)(ln(x)/x) and x is NOT 7/n: that's the change from one x to another. In fact, x= 3+ (7/n)i ("3+ " because you are starting at 3, "(7/n)i" because you are move 7/n for each increase in i).

2. Take x=0 as the left endpoint to simplify the calculations. Since the only dependence on i is "i*pi/4n", it appears that you are using a step of pi/4n. That tells us two things:(a) the total change is from 0 to n(pi/4n)= pi/4 so the region must run from 0 to pi/4, (b) the base of each rectangle is pi/4n so the height mujst be the
    4 tan(i*pi/4n) part and the function itself must be 4 tan(x).
    The region you want is the region bounded on the top by y= 4 tan(x), on the bottom by y=0, on the left by x=0, and on the right by x= pi/4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?