Help with Problem: Dog on Flatboat - Distance from Shore

• Thread starter vroman
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a dog and a boat with known masses and distances from the shore. The boat has no friction with the water, so the center of mass of the system remains stationary. By calculating the x-coordinate of the center of mass before and after the dog moves, the distance of the dog from the shore can be determined.
vroman
I'm not even sure how to begin this problem. Can someone help me out?

A dog, with a mass of 12.0 kg, is standing on a flatboat so that he is 29.7 m from the shore. He walks 8.7m on the boat toward the shore and then stops. The boat has a mass of 44.0kg. Assuming there is no friction between the boat and the water, how far is the dog from the shore now?

Physics news on Phys.org
vroman said:
I'm not even sure how to begin this problem. Can someone help me out?

A dog, with a mass of 12.0 kg, is standing on a flatboat so that he is 29.7 m from the shore. He walks 8.7m on the boat toward the shore and then stops. The boat has a mass of 44.0kg. Assuming there is no friction between the boat and the water, how far is the dog from the shore now?
Think of the boat has having a constant mass/length. Work out the change in center of mass of the dog/boat relative to the center of the boat. What can you say about the position of that center of mass relative to the shore?

AM

Imagine that the shore is at the origin of the coordinate system and the dog+boat system lies on the x-axis.Because there is no friction between the boat and water , so there are no external forces.As a fact, in absence of external forces , cente of mass of the system remains stationary .Calculate the x-coordinate of the centre of mass before the dog moves and after the dog moves.Equate both the c.m coordinates and get the needed value.

X-coordinate of c.m can be calculate as:

[itex]X_c_m = \frac {m_1 x_1 + m_2 x_2}{m_1+m_2}[/itex]

1. How far is the dog from the shore on the flatboat?

The distance between the dog and the shore on the flatboat can vary depending on factors such as the size and speed of the flatboat, the current of the water, and the location of the boat. Without specific information, it is impossible to determine the exact distance.

2. What is the best way to help the dog on the flatboat?

The best way to help the dog on the flatboat will depend on the situation. If the dog is in immediate danger, it is important to contact the appropriate authorities for assistance. If the dog is not in danger, it is best to approach the flatboat cautiously and try to coax the dog towards the shore.

3. How can I safely approach the dog on the flatboat?

If you are able to approach the flatboat, it is important to do so carefully and calmly. The dog may be scared or agitated, so it is important to approach slowly and avoid making sudden movements or loud noises. It may also be helpful to have treats or toys to entice the dog towards you.

4. Is it safe to bring the dog onto my own boat or onto the shore?

Bringing the dog onto your own boat or onto the shore is not recommended unless you have experience handling dogs and are able to ensure the safety of both the dog and yourself. If you are unable to safely bring the dog to shore, it is best to contact the appropriate authorities for assistance.

5. What should I do if I am unable to help the dog on the flatboat?

If you are unable to help the dog on the flatboat, it is important to contact the appropriate authorities for assistance. They will have the necessary resources and training to safely rescue the dog from the flatboat. Please do not attempt to rescue the dog yourself if you are not trained or equipped to do so.