Unsure of major as well as wanting to transfer universities (California)

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on two topics: choosing between EE and CE as a major and transferring to a different university. They have expressed an interest in working for Google and in military aviation electronics. They are currently struggling with a Java programming class and are considering whether to retake it or wait and take a higher level class next semester. For transferring universities, they are considering UC Irvine or UC Berkeley, but have concerns about the competitiveness of UC Berkeley's environment. They are also wondering about class sizes and the personal connections with professors at a state school compared to a private university. They are also concerned about the ability to register for classes and their chances of being accepted with their current GPA and extracurricular activities. They are open
sharkshockey
I have two things that I want to address in this thread and hopefully the community can offer me some advice on how to solve these issues:

1. Choosing between EE and CE

I will be starting my second year at my university this coming Fall (2008) and it is by then that I have to declare what major I would like to pursue. I'm currently registered as a Computer Engineer. I am also taking Java programming at a community college as to get it out of the way. The question I have is if I should stick with programming?

For a career path, I have always wanted to work for Google (who doesn't), but I also want to work on military aviation electronics. Sadly, the programming class I'm taking now is flying over my head. I'm sliding by with a B only because I spent hours on the Internet posting questions in forums and browsing for Java tutorials. It would be childish of me to blame my teacher for my lack of understanding, but I don't feel that he is putting any effort into teaching at all (no lectures; just read the book and come to class and try to program).

A related question is if I should take Java programming again next semester (if I manage to pass this summer class) or wait until the Spring semester to complete Java II and then relearn Java I next summer (or hopefully have the Java II class offered at my university refresh and clarify what I have learned this summer)?

2. Transferring Universities

I want to transfer to either a UC or Cal Poly SLO my junior year. Right now, the most realistic goal I can set for a UC transfer is UC Irvine (any thoughts on their engineering program) and hopefully UC Berkeley (because of Air Force ROTC). Despite Cal being an exceptionally good university, I've been told that the environment there is too competitive and people are willing to trade their friends to succeed in life (which does not sound appealing to me).

-Coming from a private university where class sizes are no larger than 30 students, how will that change at a UC during my upperclassmen years?

-I was told from a few friends and family that staying at a private university would be better because the professors there know me personally, which will allow me to get a better job easier because of the personal connection. How different is this at a state school?

-Another thing I was told to be weary of before deciding to transfer would be the inability to register for classes. At my university, if a class and all its sections are full, the registrar will perform an override to guarantee a student in need of that class a spot. How does a UC handle such situation? I would really like to graduate in 4 years.

-My application is pretty bare and uncompetitive if I were to mention my extra-curriculars starting my freshmen year at college. However, I have an abundance of activities I was involved with during my high school years, as well as an abundance of community service hours under my belt (something which I love to do). I'll most likely be applying with a 3.2-3.3 GPA. Are there any tips or suggestions to make myself more competitive and better my chances? I can't submit the application until November 1st, so that leaves me plenty of room from the start of school (end of August) to get involved with the clubs I was too busy to join last year.

Physics news on Phys.org
Will that be helpful at all?I apologize if this was long, but I have so many questions that I want answered. Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated!

my advice would be to first evaluate your interests and strengths in both EE and CE. Both fields have their own unique challenges and opportunities, and it's important to choose a major that aligns with your interests and strengths. You can also consider talking to professionals in both fields and doing some job shadowing or internships to get a better understanding of what each career path entails.

In terms of your programming class, it's important to communicate with your professor and seek help when needed. It's also a good idea to practice outside of class and seek additional resources, such as online tutorials or study groups. If you're struggling with the material, it may be worth considering taking the class again to solidify your understanding.

As for transferring universities, it's important to research and visit the schools you're interested in to get a feel for the environment and the engineering program. It's also important to consider factors such as class sizes and the availability of resources for students. Don't discount a school simply because it's competitive - it may offer valuable opportunities and resources for your career development.

In terms of making your application more competitive, focus on getting involved in extracurricular activities and gaining relevant experience in your field. This could include joining engineering clubs, participating in research projects, or completing internships. It's also important to maintain a strong GPA and showcase your passion and dedication through your personal statement and letters of recommendation.

Ultimately, the decision to transfer universities and choose a major should be based on your personal goals and interests. Take the time to explore your options and seek advice from mentors and professionals in the field. Good luck with your decision and future academic pursuits!

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a major?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a major, including your interests, abilities, and career goals. It's important to choose a major that aligns with your strengths and passions, as well as one that can lead to potential job opportunities in the future.

2. How do I know if transferring universities is the right decision for me?

Deciding to transfer universities can be a difficult decision. It's important to carefully evaluate your reasons for wanting to transfer, such as academic fit, location, or personal circumstances. You should also research the transfer process and requirements for the universities you are considering.

3. What are the benefits of transferring universities?

Transferring universities can offer a fresh start and the opportunity to explore new academic and social environments. It can also provide access to different resources and opportunities, such as internships or study abroad programs. Transferring can also be a way to pursue a different major or career path.

4. How can I make sure my credits will transfer to a new university?

Before transferring universities, it's important to research the transfer credit policies of the schools you are considering. You should also meet with an academic advisor at your current university to discuss your transfer plans and ensure that your credits will transfer smoothly.

5. Are there any resources available to help me with the transfer process?

Yes, many universities have resources specifically for students who are considering transferring. These may include transfer counselors, workshops, or online guides. Additionally, you can reach out to current students or alumni who have gone through the transfer process for advice and support.