Untwisted Nematic Frederick's Transition

• Thread starter SamBam77
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transition
In summary, Untwisted Nematic Frederick's Transition, also known as the Freedericksz transition, is a phase transition that occurs in liquid crystals when an electric field is applied to the material. This results in the alignment of the liquid crystal molecules in the direction of the electric field, causing a change in the optical properties of the material. It is based on the principle of dielectric anisotropy and has a wide range of applications, including in LCDs and other devices. It differs from Twisted Nematic Frederick's Transition and faces challenges in its study due to the complex behavior of liquid crystals and the need for new experimental techniques and theoretical models.
SamBam77
I am interested in understanding the behavior of an untwisted nematic liquid crystal cell undergoing a Frederick's transition.It would seem that, by far, the twisted nematic structure is used and studied more than the untwisted/homogeneous nematic configuration. I can find lots of examples that show how the intensity of light, transmitted through an twisted nematic LCD viewed between crossed polarizers, changes with applied voltage. Once the applied voltage crossed a minimum threshold, the liquid crystal molecules are induced to orient normal to the alignment surface. In doing so, they no longer rotate the polarization of light as it passes through the cell, thereby reducing the transmitted intensity down to zero. But what about untwisted nematic cells? The same transition, from planar to normal orientation, should occur with applied voltage. How does the transmission curve for those cells behave?As I said, I cannot find many examples of people studying/publishing these curves, but I have found a few. The few I found seem to indicate that the transmission oscillates – goes up and down - with increased voltage. For example, this article (open access) describes their LCDs made by sandwiching the liquid crystals between alignment layers rubbed in anti-parallel directions, inducing homogeneous planar alignment. Then, in Figure 11, you can see that the transmission varies up and down with increasing voltage, eventually decreasing toward zero (assuming tha is the final “swing” of the oscillations). What is causing those oscillations?

In that article, the align the optical axis of the cell at 45 degrees away from the polarizers, but I have also seen this behavior for cells aligned parallel/perpendicular to a set of crossed polarizers. Naively, I would not expect to see any change in the transmission in this case. What's going on instead?

Physics news on Phys.org
The most likely explanation I can come up with is that the oscillations are caused by a combination of surface anchoring strength and the tilt angle of the molecules. As the voltage is increased, the tilt angle of the molecules increases, but the surface anchoring strength prevents them from completely aligning normal to the surface. Thus, the molecules’ optical axis is no longer parallel or perpendicular to the polarizers, and the transmission begins to oscillate. In summary, it appears that an untwisted nematic liquid crystal cell undergoing a Frederick's transition will display oscillations in the transmitted light intensity with applied voltage. These oscillations are likely caused by a combination of surface anchoring strength and the tilt angle of the molecules.

1. What is Untwisted Nematic Frederick's Transition?

Untwisted Nematic Frederick's Transition, also known as the Freedericksz transition, is a phase transition that occurs in liquid crystals when an electric field is applied to the material. This results in the alignment of the liquid crystal molecules in the direction of the electric field, causing a change in the optical properties of the material.

2. How does Untwisted Nematic Frederick's Transition work?

Untwisted Nematic Frederick's Transition is based on the principle of dielectric anisotropy, which refers to the difference in electrical conductivity along different axes of a material. When an electric field is applied to a liquid crystal, the molecules align themselves along the direction of the field, causing a change in the material's optical properties.

3. What are the applications of Untwisted Nematic Frederick's Transition?

Untwisted Nematic Frederick's Transition has a wide range of applications, including in liquid crystal displays (LCDs) and liquid crystal lenses. It is also used in devices such as optical switches, modulators, and shutters.

4. How is Untwisted Nematic Frederick's Transition different from Twisted Nematic Frederick's Transition?

Untwisted Nematic Frederick's Transition is a type of liquid crystal phase transition that occurs in a material with no twist in the molecular alignment. On the other hand, Twisted Nematic Frederick's Transition involves a twisted molecular alignment and is commonly used in LCD technology.

5. What are the challenges in studying Untwisted Nematic Frederick's Transition?

One of the main challenges in studying Untwisted Nematic Frederick's Transition is the complex behavior of liquid crystals, which can be influenced by factors such as temperature, electric field strength, and material properties. Additionally, the development of new experimental techniques and theoretical models is necessary to better understand this transition and its applications.