Enjoying the Challenge of Difficult Classes: Unusual Enjoyment?

• Thread starter Azmodan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the experience of feeling a "high" when learning difficult and complex material, particularly in the field of engineering. The speaker reflects on their enjoyment of a challenging course and wonders if others have had similar experiences. They also mention the potential psychological and motivational benefits of this type of learning.
Azmodan
I think the answers to this question may be a little biased but, oh well.

Is it normal to get a high off of taking abnormally difficult classes (well, at least difficult for me). I'm 3/4 of the way through Engineering Dynamics and wow it's been pretty rough, but I freaking LOVED it. I don't know what it is. Was it the crazy amount of math, the subject matter or the fact that it was just difficult?

Anybody else feel the same way about other courses you took/are taking? Did I even post this in the right section?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Azmodan, Welcome here to Physics Forums!

Yes, others feel the same "high" when learning immensely complicated/difficult material. A person is satisfying a physical "need", for example, drinking cool water when thirsty, or like eating when hungry. The psychological need satisfaction you have experienced hopefully will contribute towards motivating you to continue this learning process! Good Luck! And, it is a better high than any drug!

yes, it sure feels goood when a mystery disappears.

I guess we're programmed by Mother Nature to explore.

1. What are some tips for enjoying difficult classes?

Some tips for enjoying difficult classes include setting realistic goals, breaking up studying into smaller chunks, seeking help from professors or tutors, and finding a study group or partner. It is also important to stay organized and prioritize self-care to avoid burnout.

2. How can I change my mindset to find enjoyment in challenging classes?

One way to change your mindset is to focus on the learning process rather than the end result. Embrace the opportunity to challenge yourself and grow your knowledge and skills. You can also try reframing your thoughts and find the positive aspects of the class or subject.

3. Are there any benefits to taking difficult classes?

Yes, there are several benefits to taking difficult classes. It can help improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, increase resilience and determination, and prepare you for future challenges. It can also make you stand out to employers or graduate schools.

4. What should I do if I feel overwhelmed by a difficult class?

If you feel overwhelmed, it is important to reach out for support. Talk to your professor, academic advisor, or a counselor about your concerns. They can provide guidance and resources to help you manage the workload and stress. Remember to also take breaks and prioritize self-care.

5. Can enjoying a difficult class really make a difference in my academic performance?

Yes, enjoying a difficult class can make a difference in your academic performance. When you have a positive attitude towards a class, you are more likely to be engaged and motivated to learn. This can lead to better understanding and retention of material, ultimately improving your grades.