1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unusual enjoyment

1. Jun 26, 2012 #1
    I think the answers to this question may be a little biased but, oh well.

Is it normal to get a high off of taking abnormally difficult classes (well, at least difficult for me). I'm 3/4 of the way through Engineering Dynamics and wow it's been pretty rough, but I freaking LOVED it. I don't know what it is. Was it the crazy amount of math, the subject matter or the fact that it was just difficult?

Anybody else feel the same way about other courses you took/are taking? Did I even post this in the right section?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2

Bobbywhy

Gold Member

Azmodan, Welcome here to Physics Forums!

Yes, others feel the same "high" when learning immensely complicated/difficult material. A person is satisfying a physical "need", for example, drinking cool water when thirsty, or like eating when hungry. The psychological need satisfaction you have experienced hopefully will contribute towards motivating you to continue this learning process! Good Luck! And, it is a better high than any drug!

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

yes, it sure feels goood when a mystery disappears.

I guess we're programmed by Mother Nature to explore.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook