1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unusual Harmonic Motion

1. Jun 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The potential energy of a particle varies as U=K|X|3, it is oscillating and the amplitude is 'A' then find out the time period's variance with 'A'

2. Relevant equations

F=-dU/dx
    a=F/m

3. The attempt at a solution

none..
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2013 #2
    That's a good start. Now form these equations.

4. Jun 7, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Just posting to get on the thread.

5. Jun 7, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You will need to be careful with the sign when you write out the expression for F as a function of x.

6. Jun 7, 2013 #5
    A bit offtopic though. You can use the "Subscribe to this Thread" found under the "Thread Tools" (top right in the OP) menu.

7. Jun 7, 2013 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You may use conservation of energy. The energy can be obtained from the amplitude. Find the velocity v=dx/dt as function of x, and integrate for a quarter period.

ehild

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  8. Jun 8, 2013 #7
    the equation for v is coming such that it is a cubic in x .. unable to solve it

9. Jun 8, 2013 #8

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is no solution in closed form, but the definite integral depends somehow on the amplitude. Show what you got.

ehild

10. Jun 8, 2013 #9

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks. Didn't know.

11. Jun 8, 2013 #10
    @rude man: I see the energy conservation method. But cant it be solved using the equation a= F/m, and then solving the differential equation?

12. Jun 8, 2013 #11

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That was ehild's post that recommended the energy approach.

I tried what you did, wound up with mx'' + 3k/m x^2 = 0 and could not solve it either. I tried a "guessed" solution of x = Asin(wt) which was disastrous. Evidently, the oscillations are not pure sinusoids, neither should we expect them to be in view of the fact that the ODE is nonlinear.

13. Jun 8, 2013 #12
    Sorry, dint see it was ehild. I didn't expect that the equation would come out like this mx'' + 3k/m x^2 = 0. Nor do i know how to solve this equation(never studied any method to solve non linear equations).
    Now i an can understand why ehild recommended the energy method :D.

14. Jun 8, 2013 #13
    The energy method should yield an equation of the kind dt =f(x)dx, from which one could get the period, if not explicitly, then as a quadrature.

15. Jun 8, 2013 #14
    How about a numerical solution? In my attachment, I have (I think) calculated the horizontal acceleration to be..
    a = (3Agx^2)/(1+9A^2x^4)
    This seems reasonable to me since the horizontal acceleration, to the left or -x direction should be zero when x = inf, and zero when x = 0. So, from a starting point, say (1,1) assuming y = x^3 can we find the time until the acceleration = zero? I haven't done this as yet but it might work.

Attached Files:

• x115.jpg
      x115.jpg
      File size:
      21.2 KB
      Views:
  16. Jun 8, 2013 #15

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I tried that, starting with mv2/2 + kx3 = kA3, confining to x > 0.

That gives v(x). Then I said dt = dx/v(x) as I think you suggested. Then I said T/2 = ∫[x/v(x)]dx from 0 to A where T = period.

What a disaster that resulted in ...

17. Jun 8, 2013 #16

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That gives the magnitude of v(x)... |v(x)|=2k/m√(A3-x3)

What is that extra x in the integral??? And a quarter period elapses while going from x=0 to x=A.

Integrating v(x), it leads to [tex]\int_0^A{\frac{dx}{\sqrt{A^3-x^3}}}=\int_0^{T/4}{\frac{2k}{m}dt}[/tex]

Factor out A3/2 from the square root,and introduce the variable z=x/A, then you get an integral which is dimensionless, a simple number (consult Wolframalpha), multiplied by some function of A.

ehild

18. Jun 8, 2013 #17

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think you need to solve the DE. You just need to find the form of T = f(K, A, m). The function f may include a definite integral which could be calculated in principle. E.g. ##\int_0^1\frac{du}{\sqrt(1-u^3)}##
    Edit: I see ehild beat me to it

19. Jun 9, 2013 #18

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't know where I picked up that extra x either. Senior moment I guess. And yes, 0 to A is only 1/4 period, not half. Otherwise that's exactly what I did. Thanks.

20. Jun 9, 2013 #19
    maybe we can work on an analogy.... A ball (of negligible radius {to cancel rotational energy})that rolls down a slope of equation y=x^3.. though i really don't see how it helps

21. Jun 9, 2013 #20

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A simple number?

Doing what you suggest you wind up with the integral as A5/2∫dz/(1 - z3)1/2 with limits 0 and 1 which is stil a disaster, with elliptic functions, imaginary terms, and singularities for z = 1 (and possibly elsewhere), corresponding to x = A.

Perhaps you could show us the rest ...

EDIT: Ok, with the integral evaluated at z = 0 and z = 1 I see from the plots that we get a real number, and the imaginary part, being constant over that interval, evaluates to zero.

All I can say is, thank God for the graphic displays of wolfram alpha!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted