UnsolvedIntegral: What is the Integral of x^(x) dx?

• Thread starter asd1249jf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the integral of x^(x) dx and concludes that it cannot be solved by elementary functions or even by Mathematica. Various ideas and suggestions are mentioned, including the use of the Lambert W function and rewriting the function in terms of standard exponential functions. However, no solution is found and it is mentioned that having a name for a function does not necessarily mean understanding it better.
asd1249jf
Hello.

I was walking from home and thought to myself

What would the integral of x^(x) dx be?

And I momentarily thought

[X^(x+1)] / (x+1)

But that can't be it. lol

Does anyone have an idea? Oh just in case you guys become frantic and mad about it and go like (This is a homework problem, think about it yourself a little bit more :devil:), I assure, you, this isn't a homework problem so please chill and give me some ideas.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure there is no integral for this that is defined by elementary functions. If you look around the forum I think I've read at least one or two with the same question.

I thought that sounded familiar, too. A problem that's come up periodically is inverting the function x*e^x. This is the Lambert W function (non-elementary). But this is not that. It may have a name - but giving something a name doesn't mean you understand it better. It just makes it easier to google for it.

Last edited:
Even Mathematica does not have a solution to this conundrum. :biggrin:

Mathematica could not find a formula for your integral. Most likely this means that no formula exists.

http://integrals.wolfram.com/

Of course its easier if you have these things in terms of the standard family of functions. For this particular case we recognise that its a "special" exponential function which can of course be written as follows.

[tex]x^x=e^{x\ln(x)}[/tex]

Its actually relatively easy to differentiate but as yet I can't find any method of integrating, but perhaps someone with more experience would be able to find something.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function between two points on the x-axis.

2. What is x^(x)?

x^(x) is an exponential function, where the base and the exponent are both x. It is also known as a power tower function.

3. What does dx mean?

dx is a notation used in calculus to represent an infinitely small change in the x-value, also known as the independent variable, in a function.

4. Is the integral of x^(x) dx solvable?

Yes, the integral of x^(x) dx is solvable, but it does not have a closed-form solution. This means that it cannot be expressed with a finite number of elementary functions.

5. How do you solve the integral of x^(x) dx?

The integral of x^(x) dx can be solved using advanced mathematical techniques such as the Riemann sum, Taylor series, or numerical integration methods. However, these methods can be complex and time-consuming, so it is often approximated using numerical methods.