Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unusual property of a 'metal'

1. May 1, 2007 #1
    I have a pictorial example in a book here of a solid that behaves very strangely indeed. I would have called it 'biaxial metallicity' but I have no idea what the correct term is - the material is apparently metallic in one direction but not in another - that is, appears to obey the free or nearly-free electron model only in one direction. It's described as 'KCP' and given the formulation (K2(Pt(CN)4Br0.3).3H2O). I haven't been able to find this anywhere else. Anyone have any idea what this stuff is and have any more sources for information?

Oops, I should have mentioned the book. It's Elliot, The Physics and Chemistry of Solids.
    Last edited: May 1, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

This sounds like Krogmann salt (or Krogmann's salt).

This does usually consist of linear chains of transition metal ions like platinum ions with metal-metal bonds, which are surrounded by non-metal ligands.
    As the metal-metal bonds are directed, this leads to metal-like conductivity in one direction and to bad conductivity in the other direction.

Anyway this is just stuff some guys in our university did some research on. I am not an expert on this topic myself.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?