What is the source of the mysterious red rectangle in space?

In summary: The mysterious red rectangle on the Hubble telescope's newest image is actually a cluster of highly reactive PAHs, according to a new study.Scientists have known about the ERE for decades, but they couldn't explain what was causing it.According to the study, the ERE is caused by a charged molecule absorbing energy from another molecule and then emitting light in the red spectrum.
Dotini
Gold Member
How charming!

635957181524590865-hubble-friday-04082016.jpg

(Photo: ESA/Hubble and NASA)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/sciencefair/2016/04/08/star-red-rectangle-nasa-hubble/82796522/

Likes OmCheeto and jfizzix
Astronomy news on Phys.org
If I had to guess, I would say at least some of the "rectangularity" in the image is likely due to the shape of the aperture on the telescope looking at it. Rectangular irises make rectangular streaks, and hexagonal irises make hexagonal streaks. The nebula is definitely more rectangular than what could be explained by aperture effects, which is pretty darn cool.

See for example this Hubble photo of Sirius
hs-2005-36-a-web.jpg

(Source: http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/releases/2005/36/image/a/format/large_web/)

Here, the star is round, but there are well-defined streaks at 90 degree angles. These streaks are purely due to aperture effects.

Pretty, though :)

Last edited:
I don't think i has anything to do with the aperture shape. From the photo's source:

The reason for its rectangular appearance is because we're seeing the nebula from an unusual angle. The star is likely shooting out cone-shaped gas clouds, which to us seem to form a rectangle, NASA said.

Besides, most telescopes have round apertures. I don't think I've ever seen one without a round aperture.

jfizzix said:
Here, the star is round, but there are well-defined streaks at 90 degree angles. These streaks are purely due to aperture effects.

Those spikes are diffraction spikes, which have little to do with the shape of the aperture as far as I know.

Likes davenn
Drakkith said:
Those spikes are diffraction spikes, which have little to do with the shape of the aperture as far as I know.

Those spikes wouldn't be at 90 degree angles unless the light was passing though a rectangular aperture/iris.

jfizzix said:
Those spikes wouldn't be at 90 degree angles unless the light was passing though a rectangular aperture/iris.

Sure they will. Take a look at the following picture.
512px-Comparison_strut_diffraction_spikes.svg.png

The aperture with four spider vanes has cross-shaped diffraction spikes.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_spike

Likes CalcNerd, Borg and davenn
I don't think anything was wrong with apparatus, nature just does interesting things which are not predictable.
Nobody expected a hexagon formation on the north pole of Saturn, but there it is.

Likes Dotini
rootone said:
I don't think anything was wrong with apparatus, nature just does interesting things which are not predictable.
Nobody expected a hexagon formation on the north pole of Saturn, but there it is.
Yes, this is how I think about it, too. I certainly wouldn't rush to bet the farm on the first explanation offered by a journalist. For me, the endless beauty, variety and novelty of the universe is enough to make me feel loved, charmed and amused.

Likes Rohe your Boat
070406_red_rectangle_02.jpg

- "Strange activity at the molecular level"

- A red glow, "Extended Red Emission (conveniently ERE for short) has been known but inexplicable for more than 30 years".

- "Unusual clusters of PAHs that are charged and highly reactive but, at the same time, have a stable, closed-shell electron configuration"

These are the explanation now on offer by writers at space.com.

http://www.space.com/3658-mystery-red-space-glow-solved.html
http://www.space.com/32655-mysterious-red-rectangle-hubble-telescope-sharpest-image.html

1. What is an unusual rectangular star?

An unusual rectangular star is a type of star that has a unique rectangular shape instead of the more common spherical or elliptical shape. This is caused by the star's strong magnetic field which distorts its shape.

2. How does an unusual rectangular star form?

An unusual rectangular star forms when a star with a strong magnetic field undergoes a process called magnetic braking, where the rotation of the star slows down and the magnetic field becomes stronger. This causes the star's shape to become distorted and take on a rectangular shape.

3. Where can unusual rectangular stars be found?

Unusual rectangular stars can be found in the outer regions of galaxies, where there are less stars and a lower density of gas and dust. They can also be found in binary star systems, where the interaction between two stars can create a strong magnetic field.

4. What makes unusual rectangular stars different from other stars?

Unusual rectangular stars are different from other stars because of their unique shape. They also have much stronger magnetic fields compared to other stars, which affects their formation, evolution, and behavior.

5. What can studying unusual rectangular stars tell us about the universe?

Studying unusual rectangular stars can provide insights into the formation and evolution of stars, as well as the role of magnetic fields in shaping the universe. It can also help us better understand the processes and conditions that lead to the creation of different types of stars.