Unusual Salt-Water Reaction?

• Thread starter Aschere
  • Start date

GCT

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I suspect that the sodium chloride has something to do with boiling point elevation , and as the water evaporates the solution becomes more concentrated with the sodium chloride which raises the boiling point higher , somehow this may make the process of evaporation more favorable with respect to the rate of combustion.

Water evaporates increasing the kinetics of its gaseous constituents and then ions of sodium and chloride may assist in cutting the hydrogen bonds when they become gaseous . I have yet to find the blueprint of the setup, so my assumptions may be way off without considering the context of the experiment.

Reactions require a certain activation energy for appreciable product formation and energy is obtained if the free energy of the product is lower than what was consumed. We have the heating up of the water and the combustion of hydrogen, we're dealing with intermolecular attractions in the former and intramolecular bonds in the latter , so the process may actually be useful. Heating the water , however , is an inefficient process and I'm certain that there some concerns that pertain to engineering here.