Unsolved Mystery: A Diophantine Equation with an Unusual Set of Integers

In summary: As long as you stay away from book margins everything is alright :wink:In summary, there is a search for an unusual set of four different integers A, B, C, and n such that the equation A^n + B^n - C^n = A + B - C > 0 holds true, where n is greater than 1 and the product of A, B, and C is greater than 0. The search has found multiple solutions for n = 2 and 3, but for n = 4 and higher, only one unique set has been found. However, there is a possibility for infinite solutions when n is an odd integer and the condition B = -1 and A + C = 0 is satisfied.
Terry Coates
Has anyone else spotted an unusual set of three different integers A, B, & C such that
A^n + B^n - C^n = A + B - C > 0 (n > 1 and A x B x C > 0)

I leave the reader to see if they can find this set, or to ask me what they are.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Im assuming here that the 'n' is real and not limited to an integer. Is this allowed or are there restrictions on 'n'?

Likes Silicon Waffle
I should have said "an unusual set of four integers" as n is included. A search should find the set quite quickly since none of the integers is as high as 20.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Terry Coates said:
I should have said "an unusual set of four integers" as n is included. A search should find the set quite quickly since none of the integers is as high as 20.
There are infinitely many solutions for n=2.

For n = 2 surely there are no solutions. 3^2 + 4^2 - 5^2 = 0 3 + 4 - 5 = 2

Terry Coates said:
For n = 2 surely there are no solutions. 3^2 + 4^2 - 5^2 = 0 3 + 4 - 5 = 2
Maybe I misunderstand your question.
Why is, for example, 4²+6²-7²=4+6-7=3 not a solution?

Likes fresh_42
Samy_A said:
Maybe I misunderstand your question.
Why is, for example, 4²+6²-7²=4+6-7=3 not a solution?
The product of ##A, B## and ##C## should be positive, I think.

No, sorry, I misread. Your example should be fine.

Sorry, you are correct. I should have said n > 2. I think that then there is only one set.

Terry Coates said:
Sorry, you are correct. I should have said n > 2. I think that then there is only one set.
No, there is more than one set.

Many thanks for your speedy replies and research. My set is 16^5 + 13^5 - 17^5 = 12
I'd be pleased to see what others you have discovered.

##35^3+119^3-120^3=35+119-120=34##

Thanks for that.

I actually found my set while searching for the least possible value for A^n + B^n - C^n which in the case of n = 3 the least possible = 2 (with A, B and C relatively prime) I get 64 for n = 4, 12 for n = 5, 69264 n=6, 2697354 n = 7

Samy_A said:
##35^3+119^3-120^3=35+119-120=34##

That makes it 3-0 to the Belgian.

Likes fresh_42
PeroK said:
Or 15-3 in Rugby counts.

Seems that these sets can only occur with power 1,2,3 and 5

Boldings by me.
Terry Coates said:
Seems that these sets can only occur with power 1,2,3 and 5
Terry Coates said:
You already ruled out 1 and 2.
Terry Coates said:
I actually found my set while searching for the least possible value for A^n + B^n - C^n which in the case of n = 3 the least possible = 2 (with A, B and C relatively prime) I get 64 for n = 4, 12 for n = 5, 69264 n=6, 2697354 n = 7
?

If I add the condition that A, B and C are to be relatively prime, then my set is probably unique

Terry Coates said:
If I add the condition that A, B and C are to be relatively prime, then my set is probably unique
Not quite, these also satisfy this additional condition:

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
8-0
It's going to be a disaster ...

Likes mfb
Samy_A said:
Not quite, these also satisfy this additional condition:
It does not matter, he will keep adding conditions until his set is unique. :)

Likes mfb
fresh_42 said:
8-0
It's going to be a disaster ...
Germany-Brazil in 2014? Is there an isomorphism mapping Samy_A to Germany's soccer team and mapping Terry to Brazil's team?

WWGD said:
Germany-Brazil in 2014? Is there an isomorphism mapping Samy_A to Germany's soccer team and mapping Terry to Brazil's team?
I don't know about Terry but the other comparison ... would you set up an isomorphism between the Bears and the cheese hats?

nasu said:
It does not matter, he will keep adding conditions until his set is unique. :)

I fail to see how this is inconsistent with Mathematics in general!

MostlyHarmless said:
I fail to see how this is inconsistent with Mathematics in general!
It isn't. It only says that either the original problem hasn't been formulated thoroughly enough or carefully enough as, e.g. "How many solutions depending on n does ... have" would have been.

Sorry to disturb your feel people but there are infinitely many solutions for this.

Just take n= any odd integer.
and the condition b= -1; a+c=0.

If it seems lame, forgive me. I think there are infinite solutions for n=even too, but I am looking at it. Will get back!

CrazyNinja said:
Sorry to disturb your feel people but there are infinitely many solutions for this.

Just take n= any odd integer.
and the condition b= -1; a+c=0.

If it seems lame, forgive me. I think there are infinite solutions for n=even too, but I am looking at it. Will get back!
Say ##n=2m+1, L(n)=A^n+B^n-C^n, R=A+B-C##.
Then ##B=-1## and ##A= -C## give us ## L(n)=2A^n-1## and ##R=2A-1##.
The condition ##L(n)=R## now reads ##A^{2m}=1## which in ##ℤ## is ##A,C ∈ \{±1\}## contradicting the assumption that ##A,B,C## are pairwise different.

fresh_42 said:
Say ##n=2m+1, L(n)=A^n+B^n-C^n, R=A+B-C##.
Then ##B=-1## and ##A= -C## give us ## L(n)=2A^n-1## and ##R=2A-1##.
The condition ##L(n)=R## now reads ##A^{2m}=1## which in ##ℤ## is ##A,C ∈ \{±1\}## contradicting the assumption that ##A,B,C## are pairwise different.
Maybe @CrazyNinja meant ##A+B=0, C=-1##.
Then, for odd ##n##, ##A^n+B^n-C^n=A+B-C=1##.

But, probably more interesting, are there solution(s) for ##n>5## with ##A, \ B, \ C## pairwise different positive integers?

No idea. I am not familiar with Diophantine equations, don't know if this has been proven, and if not, how to even start.

Likes CrazyNinja
Samy_A said:
No idea. I am not familiar with Diophantine equations, don't know if this has been proven, and if not, how to even start.
As long as you stay away from book margins everything is alright :wink:

Likes Samy_A

What are "Unusual set of 3 integers"?

"Unusual set of 3 integers" refers to a set of three numbers that have unique properties or characteristics, making them different from a typical set of three integers.

What makes a set of 3 integers unusual?

A set of 3 integers can be considered unusual if it has certain properties, such as being consecutive primes, forming a Pythagorean triple, or having a specific relationship between the numbers.

Can an unusual set of 3 integers have repeating numbers?

Yes, an unusual set of 3 integers can have repeating numbers. As long as the set has unique properties or characteristics, it can be considered unusual regardless of whether the numbers are repeating or not.

How can one identify an unusual set of 3 integers?

An unusual set of 3 integers can be identified by examining the properties or characteristics of the numbers. This may involve looking for patterns or relationships between the numbers, or checking for specific mathematical properties.

Is there a limit to the number of possible unusual sets of 3 integers?

No, there is no limit to the number of possible unusual sets of 3 integers. As long as the set has unique properties or characteristics, there can be an infinite number of combinations of numbers that make an unusual set.