Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unusual videos

1. Jan 26, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? It has plenty of clues suggesting that it is authentic.

My first thought was of a flare that detonated.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Was any contextual info provided? I don't see any.

It could be a paracute flare that comes apart (that's what people say on the first page of comments), but that's a toughie because it doesn't seem to move much (if at all) wrt the stars in the background. But that could be a distance thing.

Someone else suggested a "candle balloon" - I've never heard of that, but I was also thinking a hot air balloon on fire. Some of the other comments are really funny...

Last edited: Jan 26, 2007
  4. Jan 26, 2007 #3
    3dsmax and Photoshop to create the grainy effects. One comment on YouTube asked where the sound from the explosion went. Why would it only be seen with NW?

5. Jan 26, 2007 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I doubt that it is a rendering. Such a thing is too difficult to do just for a hoax. It may be a "candle balloon" and a hoax, though.

One thing, if we had information on the lens, you could calculate the distance to the object based on its freefall. Getting ifo like that is why getting all the context info is so important.

6. Jan 26, 2007 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Maybe the Chinese shot it down...

7. Jan 28, 2007 #6
    I don't know of any candle balloons which have a blue flame. Also candle balloons are usually brighter on the bottom. Notice that just before the light starts falling the brightness decreases - now explain that!

8. Feb 23, 2007 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is one taken from a police helicopter, in Long Beach, California, on Dec 25th, 2004. There is a local newspaper report to substantiate the story.

http://www.presstelegram.com/ucla/ci_5028150

This appears to be the video

As a guess, to me this looks like it could be great footage of either ball lightning, or something else often reported as such. There are many reports of material like molten metal dripping from relatively slow moving, or stationary fireballs [sometimes this is allegedly observed coming from a structured craft as well]. It was reported as being over the city of Long Beach, but I don't know if the actual distance from the object was known.

9. Feb 28, 2007 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10. Feb 28, 2007 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How does this account for the material seen "dripping" down?

11. Feb 28, 2007 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think so. There appears to be an awful lot of material falling. It could be done but not easily I would think. And if you look at the other link provided, they did retrieve metalic materials from similiar events. The use of thermite was ruled out in those cases. Also, in the PD video, there seems to be some odd things going on at the core. At one point it even appears that there are two orbs rotating about each other.

Who said anything about this being flying saucers? Unless this is some elaborate and very dangerous hoax, to me this is strongly suggestive of a very interesting but natural phenomenon - one that might often be interpreted as ET UFOs.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  12. Feb 28, 2007 #11
    Wow, are we looking at the same page? All the comments I see are... well, junk.

[edit - Oops, I didn't realize this thread was so old. The comments you refer to are probably in a latter page by now.]

13. Feb 28, 2007 #12
    Well, isn't it obvious? The planet Venus as viewed through swamp gas, or possibly a weather balloon :)

Well, isn't the title of the video "Exploding ufo" ? To me atleast, UFOs = "flying saucers".

14. Feb 28, 2007 #13
    Upon first sight I thought it was a hot air balloon whose canopy was reflective. Then it looked like it caught fire, which would melt/burn any canopy very quickly and begin to drop. Would also explain what looks to be a gas cloud catching fire upon escape to the top right.
    I thought hot air balloon because I see a big sphere/disc and a small basket under it thats connected at pretty much the same distance ratio as a hot air balloon. Any thoughts?

15. Feb 28, 2007 #14
    After watching the video 3 times, I think it is consistent with the object being a hot air balloon -- that caught fire. The material falling is burning pastic, in my opinion. A balloon might also explain why the object hovers in one place when the video starts.

16. Feb 28, 2007 #15
    Dang, Healy beat me to it. I shouldn't have been re-playing the video so much! :)

17. Feb 28, 2007 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please be specific about which video you are referencing: The one in the OP, or the one in post #7.

Clearly the one in post seven isn't a balloon since it would either be rising due to the reduced weight, or falling due to loss of boyancy.

18. Feb 28, 2007 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not the definition. Are you saying than any unidentified object ever seen is a flying saucer?

19. Mar 1, 2007 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As an introduction to the subject, see the ground trace evidence from the 1997 Workshop.
    http://www.scientificexploration.org/jse/articles/ufo_reports/sturrock/toc.html

What you saw were notes from a symposium [same link for video excerpts].

That is a common mistake made by people who are mostly unacquainted with the subject. The term UFO was coined in the fifties specifically to avoid the impliciation that all UFOs are flying saucers. This was first used by Ruppelt, the head of the USAF project Bluebook. Some people now use the expression "Unidentified Aerial Phenomena", or UAP, as an option.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  20. Mar 7, 2007 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is a fascinating video beginning at the 2:20 mark, in the presentation cited as:

Report from the Field: Scientific Issues in the UFO Phenomenon
    Dr. Jacques Vallee
    Astrophysicist and computer scientist, now in the private sector

Near the bottom of the page at the following link:
    http://www.freedomofinfo.org/science.html

I haven't read about the case, but Vallee claims that there were over two-hundred observers, including personnel on Navy ships. I have seen at least one very similar video before.

Before this, he shows photos of the metallic residue mentioned earlier.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  21. Mar 7, 2007 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This appears to be the same video in its original format, with "Area 51" dubbed in later. :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?