Managing Unwanted Email Notifications on Forums: A Guide

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, Dave has been receiving unwanted email notifications for watched threads and quoted posts. He has tried turning off the email notification option in his profile preferences and clicking the link in the email to stop the emails, but they still come. He has also tried disabling all emails and updating his settings, but they still continue. However, he has found a solution by going to the watched threads page and disabling email notifications from there. This has solved the issue and he is no longer receiving unwanted emails.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
hi @Greg Bernhardt

Don't know if you have made some changes ?
3 days ago I started receiving email notifications to watched threads/alerts of quoted posts etc
I have never had these before and I cannot seem to stop them.
email notification option is turned off in my profile preferences
and I have repeatedly clicked on the link in the bottom of the email to stop emails
yet they still come
If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you may disable emails from this thread or disable all emails.

using the disable all emails option takes me to a www page to update settings which I doregards
Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
When you post a new thread check to see if the "recieve notification" checkbox is ticked

Greg Bernhardt said:
When you post a new thread check to see if the "recieve notification" checkbox is ticked

Hi Greg :smile:

no its not.
but this isn't even really about threads I started, the email notifications are occurring for any thread that I have responded in

cheers
Dave

Try going to
https://www.physicsforums.com/watched/threads

and disabling the email notifications from there

Hi Greg

Thanks,
have done that now and will see if that solves the issue
was just strange that it started sending emails all on it's own without any prompting from me hahaha
no big deal, was just strange :wink:

cheers
Dave

final update ... that solved the issue

1. What are unwanted email notifications?

Unwanted email notifications are unsolicited messages that individuals receive in their email inbox. These notifications can come from various sources, such as marketing emails, newsletters, or spam emails.

2. How do I stop unwanted email notifications?

The best way to stop unwanted email notifications is to unsubscribe from the email list or service that is sending them. Most emails have an "unsubscribe" link at the bottom that you can click on to stop receiving future emails. You can also mark the emails as spam, which will automatically send them to your spam folder.

3. Can unwanted email notifications be harmful?

While unwanted email notifications can be annoying and clutter your inbox, they are not usually harmful. However, some spam emails may contain viruses or phishing links, so it is important to be cautious and not click on any suspicious links or attachments.

4. How do I filter unwanted email notifications?

Most email providers have a filtering system that allows you to block or automatically delete unwanted email notifications. You can also create rules and filters to send certain emails directly to your spam folder. Additionally, you can use third-party software or apps to help filter unwanted emails.

5. Why do I keep receiving unwanted email notifications?

There are a few reasons why you may keep receiving unwanted email notifications. You may have accidentally subscribed to a mailing list or service, your email address may have been sold or shared with other companies, or the sender may not have an unsubscribe option. It is important to regularly check your email preferences and unsubscribe from any unwanted emails.