Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Unwanted Links

1. May 7, 2004 #1

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi, I've got another computer problem.

Just in the last few days, every webpage I go to (including this one) has certrain key words highlighted (such as "Internet" "Web" "Games" "Movies"), and when I move the cursor to them, a menu appears entitled, "Related Links". I have no idea who or what is doing this, and it's really annoying, especially because I can't get "under" these superimposed links.

Anyone know what's up with this?

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2004 #2

Staff: Mentor

Do you remember downloading anything prior to when this started?

I don't know how you got it, but I have heard of this type of thing (the article I read about it was discussing it as an "enhancement to the user's browsing experience").
  4. May 7, 2004 #3

Gold Member

I've had the same pest on this computer, but I don't remember what it was called (there's so many of them!)

The easiest way would be to just download Spybot Search&Destroy http://safer-networking.org/ I have it, it's great- and free.
    Pestpatrol http://www.pestpatrol.com/ has a free analysis thing- PestScan, but it only finds the problems, it doesn't remove them.

Or you can perform a search on your computer for files that were modified within the last few days (however long ago it started). Look through the results list for anything suspicious, like "adtoolbar" or "EZSearch" or anything you don't know should be there.
    You can then confirm your suspicions by searching for the suspect on one of the above sites. Pestpatrol has pretty up-to-date info and step-by-step instructions on how to remove the pest manually. I don't know how familar you are with computers- you can do a lot of damage if you make a mistake when trying to remove them manually- so you might be better off with SpybotS&D.

Good luck
  5. May 8, 2004 #4

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've also found the freeware version of AdAware to be very helpful and simple to use when cleaning out spyware:

6. May 8, 2004 #5

Science Advisor

Stop using Internet Explorer.
  7. May 8, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus

ShawnD is right. Use another browser. This keyword highlighting is a new form of advertisment that only works with Internet Explorer.
  8. May 9, 2004 #7
    Firefox is a pretty good substitute to Explorer, and I would also clean up by using Ad-Aware from the above link.
  9. May 18, 2004 #8

Ad-Aware is worthless. It misses so much "garbage" compared to other programs. You're better off running CWShredder, Spybot - Search & Destroy, and Spy Sweeper.
  10. May 18, 2004 #9

Science Advisor

Ad-aware mostly finds tracking cookies (IMO). Spybot finds malicious crap like browser hijacks and popups (IMO).
  11. Sep 30, 2004 #10
    Hijackthis is a good one .It shows you all the toolbar etc installed.But you better post the suspicous ones and make sure they are adware.
    All other softwares just remove the problems,this one tells you raw,what it is ,where it is.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?