Up Counter Question - Getting 10MHz Instead of 20MHz

• Thread starter amninder15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Counter
In summary, the conversation is about a question on a midterm where the correct answer is 20 MHz, but the person is getting 10 MHz. They have attached a text file showing their work and are asking for an explanation on where they may have gone wrong. After some discussion and clarification, it is determined that the frequency of z is 20 MHz, with 6 clock cycles per sequence and 3 periods of z per sequence. The frequency is calculated to be 20 MHz by dividing the total clock cycles (60) by the number of periods (3).
amninder15
Hi

I got this question on midterm. the correct answer is 20 MHz.

But I am getting 10 MHz. I attached a text file which shows all the work I done.

Can someone please explain this question and tell me where I am doing it wrong.

Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    23 KB · Views: 437
  • New Text Document.txt
    588 bytes · Views: 264
Physics news on Phys.org
amninder15 said:
Hi

I got this question on midterm. the correct answer is 20 MHz.

But I am getting 10 MHz. I attached a text file which shows all the work I done.

Can someone please explain this question and tell me where I am doing it wrong.

Thanks
From attachment said:
Therefore the state diagram is: 1010 --> 1011 --> 1100 --> 0010 --> 0011 --> 0100
and then it repeats
Your state diagram, and sequence are correct. :approve:
Also from attachment said:
So according to me since this counter has 6 different states thus the frequency is 60/6 = 10 MHz.
Look at the problem statement once again (and Figure 12). You need to calculate the frequency of signal z. (The signal z is the same thing as Q1.) How many periods does signal z have in one complete sequence? :wink:

so now if I was to write Z I get
1 1 0 1 1 0

therefore Z is repeating 110 thus,

60/3 gives 20 MHz

am I on right track?

amninder15 said:
so now if I was to write Z I get
1 1 0 1 1 0

therefore Z is repeating 110 thus,

60/3 gives 20 MHz

am I on right track?
Yes, you are absolutely on the right track. :approve: But you'll need to be a little more detailed about where that '3' came from. (I think you already have it, but you should be prepared spell it out for the sake of your instructor).

There are 6 clock cycles per sequence (as you have already figured out in your original post). How many periods of z exist per sequence? How many clock cycles exist in one period of z? And thus, what's the frequency of z?

Last edited:

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your question. It seems like you have done all the work correctly, but there may be some underlying factors that are causing your results to be different from the expected 20 MHz.

Firstly, it would be helpful to know the context of this question and what type of counter you are using. Different counters may have different settings and configurations that can affect the frequency measurement.

Additionally, there could be external factors such as interference or noise that are affecting your measurements. It would be beneficial to check for any potential sources of interference and try to eliminate them.

Another possibility is that there could be a mistake in the setup or connections of your counter. Double check all the connections and make sure they are secure and in the correct configuration.

If you are still unable to determine the cause of the discrepancy, it may be helpful to consult with your instructor or a colleague who has experience with this type of counter. They may be able to offer insights or suggestions on how to troubleshoot the issue.

Overall, it is important to thoroughly review your work and consider all possible factors before concluding that your results are incorrect. I hope this helps and good luck with your future experiments.

1. What is the difference between 10MHz and 20MHz?

The difference between 10MHz and 20MHz is the frequency, or the number of cycles per second, at which a signal or wave oscillates. A 10MHz signal oscillates at a frequency of 10 million cycles per second, while a 20MHz signal oscillates at a frequency of 20 million cycles per second.

2. Why am I only getting 10MHz instead of 20MHz on my up counter?

There could be a few reasons for this. It could be due to a limitation of the counter itself, such as a maximum counting frequency of 10MHz. It could also be due to external factors, such as interference or incorrect settings.

3. How can I troubleshoot my up counter to get 20MHz?

First, check the specifications of your up counter to make sure it is capable of counting up to 20MHz. If it is, then check the settings and connections to ensure everything is correct. You may also want to check for any sources of interference that could be affecting the counter's performance.

4. What can cause an up counter to only count up to 10MHz?

As mentioned before, it could be due to a limitation of the counter itself or external factors. It could also be due to incorrect connections, faulty components, or improper settings.

5. Can I modify my up counter to count up to 20MHz?

It depends on the specific up counter and its capabilities. Some counters may have the capability to be modified or upgraded to count up to 20MHz, while others may not. It is best to consult the manufacturer or the product specifications to determine if modification is possible.