Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

UP starter kit

1. Sep 21, 2006 #1

I'm looking for a very cheap uP start kit that I can practice c language and perhaps assembly language on. I want to light up led's and stuff like that. Can anyone direct me to a good url to find one I can purchase.

I'm interested in the software (compiler), etc. too.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2006 #2
    I am not sure if you mean uC as in microcontroller as I havn't personally heard of uP before. But if it is infact a uC you are looking for, try the AVR butterfly made by atmel. Here is a link: http://www.atmel.com/dyn/products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=3146

The development software (avr studio) is a free download from Atmel.
  4. Sep 21, 2006 #3

Thanks for the response. Stupid question....Would you happen to know how I write C language with this? That is, how do I program this thing? Is there a c compiler that comes with this?
  5. Sep 22, 2006 #4

Staff: Mentor

uP is shorthand for microprocessor. A uP would be more commonly used in general computing applications, like in a PC. A uC is a uP with IO funtionality, typically, and fewer memory interface functions.

I like the PIC series of uCs. Check them out, as well as development boards and compilers at Microchip's website. I'm pretty sure that there are free compilers available for them, and the MPLab ICD tool is fairly inexpensive:

The cheapest uCs to play with are probably the Basic Stamp series from Parallax, but I don't know if you can program them in C:

6. Sep 22, 2006 #5
    I found a $36 start kit that I'm going to purchase from Microchip. Thanks
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?