Upcoming Chat Dates: 24th, 25th & 31st

• Announcement
  • Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the chat room will be open on Dec 24th, 25th, and 31st with a link to be provided by Greg B. The chat is meant for socializing and getting to know each other, while scientific discussions are better suited for the forum. Video chat options may possibly be explored in the future. The chat on New Year's Eve was a success and enjoyed by participants.
We will be opening up the chat room for Dec 24th, 25th and 31st! On these days I'll make an announcement with the link and there should be a link up top in the header. Enjoy!

Likes Stavros Kiri, 1oldman2 and OmCheeto
Physics news on Phys.org
Yay! Holiday chat! :biggrin:

Likes Stavros Kiri, OmCheeto and Greg Bernhardt
Yay!

Likes Stavros Kiri and Evo
reno.gif

Greg B,
The idea for arranging the Chats is good. I have seen some of them and they go into aimless discussion. The forums discussions are much better. Very little if any useful comments in the chats. Still, the immediate interaction is good in case something better is said there. I will pop myself in a few times to see what happens.

I'm curious: Any thoughts on setting up for video chat? Any desire to support members setting up chat through Skype accounts?

Likes Stavros Kiri
The chat is just social, just friendly, getting to know each other, no agenda. Science and math discussions should be conducted in the forum. In the previous version of the forum, we were able to designate different rooms for science discussions, but they were rarely used.

Likes Stavros Kiri and fresh_42
symbolipoint said:
I'm curious: Any thoughts on setting up for video chat? Any desire to support members setting up chat through Skype accounts?
I think this is difficult with the numbers we have on the forum. How many at a time can be in a video conference?

Hii

Thank you for the Christmas chat Greg, it was a lot of fun, I met and spoke with some very pleasant members I had never spoken with before. I am looking forward to New Year's Eve!

Likes Stavros Kiri and Greg Bernhardt
Agreed! Looking forward to NYE too. I'll plan to open chat on more holidays and make more chat events in 2017.

Evo said:
I am looking forward to New Year's Eve!
We just will have to avoid a shot each time someone has his / her new year :partytime::oldruck:

Likes Stavros Kiri, Ibix and Evo
So many time zones...

Greg Bernhardt said:
I think this is difficult with the numbers we have on the forum. How many at a time can be in a video conference?

symbolipoint said:
Greg B,
The idea for arranging the Chats is good. I have seen some of them and they go into aimless discussion. The forums discussions are much better. Very little if any useful comments in the chats. Still, the immediate interaction is good in case something better is said there. I will pop myself in a few times to see what happens.

You might want to look into Google hangouts and just post the time and day, start one up and see who shows up they can hold 15 people for voice/video and no limit in the side text chat.

Likes Stavros Kiri
fresh_42 said:
We just will have to avoid a shot each time someone has his / her new year :partytime::oldruck:
Those "damn time zones"! ... [Can't have a nice, round, global, common, well-defined New Year's Eve ! ... Oh well! ...]. I "hate" them but love them too! So finally Earth is not flat, is it? (Hmm, ... I suspected that! ...)
But the sun does in fact spin around the earth! ... (Relativity of motion ...) [We see it with time zones and New Year's Eve ... and Ptolemeos saw it too! - problem is that Copernicus and Galileo are right too! (depending on the frame of reference ...) ]

So, hey! ... may be there is hope! ... May be some day ..., you never know! ...
[At the space station perhaps? or something ... 1:partytime:] ... :smile::biggrin::oldbiggrin::wink: ... l.o.l.

Greg Bernhardt said:
With the new Skype upgrades may be easier, but still ...

PF Chat is a way to get to know each other better and perhaps spend some time in the holidays, in a more relaxed manner, with the beloved PF members and Staff, with whom we share and enjoy exciting and productive otherwise scientific discussions and moments in the forum all year long ...

But chats can sometimes be tedious and tense, as well as time consuming, but of course it's up to the user! ...
[User] Wisdom and Discretion is advised ...

Video chats is another story ... I like the idea.

I thought chat would be opening today (31st December, New Year's Eve). It's already late evening here, and well into 2017 in many places around the world but the Chat link didn't appear. Happy New Year anyway!

Likes OmCheeto
Jonathan Scott said:
I thought chat would be opening today (31st December, New Year's Eve). It's already late evening here, and well into 2017 in many places around the world but the Chat link didn't appear. Happy New Year anyway!
I' m sure there must be a reason ...
[may be just computer or net stuff ...]
Happy new year!

Last edited:
Jonathan Scott said:
And you! I already started to worry a lit bit about Greg.

I thought there was to be a New Year's Eve chat? It's half past 2017 and I've seen nothing all day :\

Thanks to everyone who participated in the NYE PF Chat. It was a lot of fun!

Likes StevieTNZ, Stavros Kiri, OmCheeto and 1 other person
Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks to everyone who participated in the NYE PF Chat. It was a lot of fun!
Sure it was a lot of fun! Thanks also to the initiator/initializer ...

1. When are the upcoming chat dates?

The upcoming chat dates are on the 24th, 25th, and 31st of the current month.

2. What time will the chats take place?

The chat sessions will take place at 8 PM EST on all three days.

3. What platform will be used for the chats?

The chats will be conducted through a video conferencing platform such as Zoom or Google Meet. The specific platform will be announced closer to the date.

4. Is there a specific topic for each chat date?

Yes, each chat date will have a specific topic related to the field of science. These topics will be announced beforehand to allow participants to prepare and engage in meaningful discussions.

5. Can anyone join these chat dates?

These chat dates are open to anyone interested in the topic and willing to engage in respectful and productive discussions. However, registration may be required depending on the platform used for the chats.