1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Upcoming deadline for college registrations-need help

  1. Nov 12, 2009 #1
    Hi, the deadline for applying to colleges is coming up at the end of this month, according to the counselor I visited, and I am at a loss. I am currently attending a community college and intend to transfer to a university with a major in Physics (I think).

    I have completed all but 1 of the Physics courses offered at the community college. I don't really have a good idea of a university with a good undergraduate program for physics (maybe engineering) which I can realistically be accepted to. I don't want to have to wait another year for an opportunity to transfer and yet I don't want to make a hasty decision of which school to attend. All in all what I am asking is for recommendations for schools with good undergraduate programs in physics preferably in CA. I have a decent overall GPA (3.6) however have achieved a 4.0 in all my physics and math courses. Any help or advice is appreciated.
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2009 #2
    You don't necessarily have to decide before the deadline. First of all, you are merely applying and unless you have signed up for and qualify for a transfer guarantee program, you still have to be accepted. Best course of action is to apply to all the schools you are considering seriously and perhaps a few more just in case. You can decide from the schools that accept you at that time. The only urgent decision might be if any of the schools are impacting a specific program you are interested in. And in that case, you may need to make sure you are choosing the right major as you may not be able to switch to an impacted major later. I already received an email from one of the Cal State Schools telling me that since I applied for an impacted major, that they may not process my alternate major if I don't get in with the primary. One thing you might do is declare the major according to the school. More specifically, part of your decision would be which school has a better program for which major. Can't provide much specifics in the way of which schools are best as I have no clue about physics programs at various schools and you didn't specify what kind of engineering. Generally though, UCLA and Berkeley seem to come up often with regards to Engineering when it comes to public schools in CA.
     
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook




Similar Discussions: Upcoming deadline for college registrations-need help
Loading...