Predicting the top contenders for the upcoming Euro tournament

• Thread starter mgiddy911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Upcoming
In summary, Zinedine Zidane is retired, England did not qualify for the Euro tournament, Ronaldo and Quaresma are the stars of Portugal, Germany and Italy respectively, and Adrian Mutu was just busted for cocaine and fined $20 million.
Yes, I do not see a way out for turkey on this one, Germany have always performed when needed to. If it had been some other team, maybe they would've underestimated them and turkey could've gone to the late periods of the game and do what they do best this championship, but I really believe Germany is too good a team.

Any thoughts on the upcoming Holland - Russia match?

Physics news on Phys.org
*-<|:-D=<-< said:
Any thoughts on the upcoming Holland - Russia match?

Can only go with the Netherlands.

Yes, I do not see a way out for turkey on this one, Germany have always performed when needed to.

Germany does manage to pull the occasional hickup like the loss to Romania in '98, and Austria in '78, or East Germany in '74. Germany also failed to make it out of the groups in euro '00 or '04.

That said, Turkey is hurt and tired while Germany are coming off of a huge win over Portugal.

Russia! Gooooooooaaaaal!

Edit: And another! 3-1 Russia with only a few minutes to go.

Last edited:
Holy pants!

What the hell just happened?!

3-1 Russia

This was a very poorly officiated match. That withdrawn yellow card highlighted it. A referee should NEVER show a card unless he really means it.

NB: I am not saying the ref threw the game. Russia deserved that win. The center ref just did a bad job. He repeatedly called fouls that weren't and missed fouls that were. Russia should have had a PK earlier. That was a blatant takedown in the box.

The Turks have done it again: scored a goal in the last few minutes. They'll go on and win this now... unless it goes to penalties, then you've got to tip the Germans!

.. guess I spoke too soon!

Yes, I do not see a way out for turkey on this one, Germany have always performed when needed to. If it had been some other team, maybe they would've underestimated them and turkey could've gone to the late periods of the game and do what they do best this championship, but I really believe Germany is too good a team.

90 minutes. Germany had the lead for all of 7 of them, 10 if they manage to hold on to their lead.

Well what a match. Turkey certainly don't know when they are beaten. They should of perhaps won.

I don't understand how a 5'7" 140lbs defender can compete (excel) on the world stage in soccer? I'm 6 foot 160lbs and I get mowed over by bigger guys all the time it seems in pickup games.

You just got to be fast and agile, soccer is the one game where size doesn't matter much cause you got to be fast and agile or you get burnt.

I saw Turkey and they were great, you know they had a lot of their important players out due to injuries and suspensions. I think if they had a full squad, they could have won.

Congratulations Germany.

If they're a full back or wing back then speed is more important, but centre backs tend to be a lot bigger.

TR345 said:
You just got to be fast and agile, soccer is the one game where size doesn't matter much cause you got to be fast and agile or you get burnt.

I suppose for left back. I just can't imagine a man his size winning balls against adebayor, toni or ibrahimovic.

Size matters for centre backs and strikers. But it doesn't for wingers and side backs and midfielders

Portugal had problems against Germany because they were smaller, got overpowered. It is hard to get a header over a tall defender. Never the less you see many of the worlds best players are small. I think intelligence is a real big part of the picture, you got to be a genus to make such great passes with a split second to react.

Germany are a huge side, but Turkey still managed to be superior in the air for most of the game. Its mainly all about timing and a good football brain.

I almost thought the match would go into extra time until Lahm squeezed in the winning goal! :biggrin:

So, the final between Germany and Spain is about to start. Both sides look quite strong, but I think Germany will bag this one. It'll be close though and, hopefully, a good game!

Woot! Nice goal, Torres!

Spain wins 1 - nil.

A well-deserved win for Spain!

Yup, Spain were definitely the better side.

OK. It's on to World Cup 2010 now.

Anyone remember me commenting how Lahm is so small? Torres abused him on the goal.

So is this game why there was no chat today? What is this? It's as if watching the Euro2008 final was more important than helping us blab about this, that, and the other thing!

D H said:
So is this game why there was no chat today? What is this? It's as if watching the Euro2008 final was more important than helping us blab about this, that, and the other thing!

I was out camping

I was just noodling you. Sorry if my post didn't come across that way.

D H said:

When I saw Greg posted, I was going to rib him about the same thing. :rofl: