Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Update to Girl Trouble Thread

1. Mar 30, 2004 #1
    Update to "Girl Trouble" Thread

OK, PrudensOptimus, it has been a couple of months now. I'm curious as to how things are going. Did you ever make a date? Find another girl? Or, are you still where you were?

I think some other guys out there shared their problems. I think it's time for a little update.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2004 #2

jimmy p

Gold Member

yeah Prudens, spill some proverbial beans!! Haha, just to share a slice of my life, I am still single but i am interested in a girl. However i cant read people at all so i dont know if she likes me or not.
  4. Mar 30, 2004 #3
    Same situation here. Single and interested in [many] girls. I cant read people well either, but I try to make an attempt to establish some form of connection (though im not good at that either).
  5. Mar 30, 2004 #4
    Okay guys! here's a tip or two:
    - smile
    - do what she likes, with your own flare to it
    - be totally yourself
    - don't be nervous; just relax
  6. Mar 30, 2004 #5

Gold Member

I haven't seen Prudens around for a while. I just checked and his last post was 3/1. I think I saw his last activity was 3/8. Maybe he got his girl and has no time for PF anymore. :biggrin:
  7. Mar 30, 2004 #6
    It's okay and normal to feel nervous. Just don't say it to her! Acknowledge it inwardly
  8. Mar 30, 2004 #7
    The main reason I brought this up is that when Prudens was having his trouble with the girl, I was having a bit of my own trouble. Now, just recently, I think things are going for the better.
  9. Mar 30, 2004 #8
    That still doesn't help with the whole "picking one to pursue" part.

10. Mar 30, 2004 #9

Gold Member

Are your pheromone receptors DEAD?? :eek: :frown:
  11. Mar 30, 2004 #10
    A relaxed smile

But I don't like to smile.

But what if she likes to frown?

But you said to smile.

I can't relax; you said to smile.
  12. Mar 30, 2004 #11
    Not dead, just mildly overwhelmed.

13. Mar 30, 2004 #12

Gold Member

By WHAT! :eek:

Hitsquad, maybe you should just go the movies by yourself. :wink:
  14. Mar 30, 2004 #13
    By... What do you think?

15. Mar 31, 2004 #14
    Hi guys, how are you?

My apologies for barging into a all-male conversation, hope you don't mind. I just thought maybe you could use a little trojan horse to the heart of that special lady you have in mind.

First of all I have to say NOOOOOOOO to that all the wrong tips about acting "cool". The first thing you want a woman to know is HOW SPECIAL SHE IS TO YOU. If you play cool, she could just take you as being indifferent (which is a big turn-off) or inscrutable (which is also a big turn-off). So sweating, stammering and other traits of nervousness are all alright, I dare say if she likes you, she will find you all the more cute because of/notwithstanding/inspite of those traits.

I will be happy to answer any other questions you might have in mind :wink:

16. Mar 31, 2004 #15
    Like I've said, It's okay to feel nervous but you don't say it. Why bring it up, It's a NEGATIVE. She knows that you are nervous no need to keep bringing it up. Gut it out if you will.

If you want to put the kibosh on any possible romance then go ahead, tell her how nervous she makes you feel and how you're intimidated by her. And Congratulations, because you just made another friend..
  17. Mar 31, 2004 #16
    What about the people that are intimidated by you?

18. Mar 31, 2004 #17
    Without disagreeing with you of course, I'd say it depends on the context. But if a guy says something nice like "you have this magic that every time I come near you l lose myself/my breath", as a woman I find that quite flattering. I think guys generally put too much emphasis on knowing what to do, young people are supposed to be at a loss on very many things. It is okay. The danger to watch out for though is that we are not too zeroed into knowing what to do that we forget to respect the lady's preference or wishes. Like I said, a woman NEEDS to feel special to be inspired by love (if she is not in love with you already) :smile: .
  19. Mar 31, 2004 #18
    The most logical thing to do needless to say, is to find out why. You have to fill me in more before I can tell you any thing.
  20. Mar 31, 2004 #19
    Some kind of goofy subconscious fear of "he'll laugh at me if I act stupid" or "he'll laugh at me because I'm stupid," that kind of thing.

21. Mar 31, 2004 #20
    Sounds like she is quite smitten by you herself. If this is the case, then simply put her at ease, by being in her proximity, talking to mutual friends (who will eventually (be made to) tell her things about you), in short - BE PATIENT. I have heard of this very very good saying which I will tell you now even though I feel I am betraying my gender. Here it goes - a gentleman is a very patient wolf. Be a gentleman.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?